Chapter Twenty Seven.

carl's pov;
*****
i sat on the roof of my house, the stars of the night sky shining down on me.
i bet she's out there.
i know she is.
probably watching the same stars as me.
i smiled to myself, and began climbing down the ladder against the side of the house.
******
I walked side by side with promise, pushing Judith in her stroller.
"You've got to stop thinking about her. I'm honestly done talking about Joelle." Promise spoke, looking at the ground.
I rolled my eyes, not replying.
"Did you hear that Deanna wants to deal with Rick tonight? She's saying He's getting out of hand."
"Wow, is everyone going psycho these days?" I questioned sarcastically. "Anyway, i'm not going. I'll wait at home with Judith."
"I'll go. And i'll give you the inside scoop." Promise added.
I nodded and she walked off, into the front door of her house.
*****
Joelle's POV;
*****
As the girls were upstairs, I quickly rummaged the shove my belongings into my backpack. I stumbled over a chair as i went to grab my jacket, and it made a loud thump.
"What are you doing?" Delilah spoke loudly as she came down the stairs, and I quickly slung my bag over my shoulder.
"Leaving."
"Why?"
"Because my people need me. And I can't deal with being here anymore." I shook my head and pulled my hair over my shoulders.
"Finally. Took you long enough." Gemini added, coming down the stairs.
"Huh?" I shook my head.
"We taught you a lesson. Your people do need you. And you just realized that. You can't run away from everything, Joelle. This is the end. Make the best of it."
I stood in awe at her words, not able to get any of my own out.
"Just go. Go find them." Delilah said, and I nodded while holding a wide smile.
I swung the front door open, and before i could go, Gemini stopped me.
"Here." She handed me my knife and a gun, and I thanked her before stepping outside.
******
As I walked the sun began to fall, and I turned on my flashlight.
I was almost there. Just a few more turns.
I came down the all too familiar road, and saw the gate that lie ahead of me.
It was open.
My jaw dropped and I went running to it, seeing a few walkers piling inside.
I quickly pulled out my knife and killed the first few that were near me.
"Rick! Rick!" I called, seeing him run by killing a few walkers. He looked me in the eyes for a few moments, and shook his head before running off. I stepped over the dead bodies and followed him, until i saw the group, standing by Deanna's house. I crouched down behind a wall, and looked at them.
Carl, Judith, and Pete were the only one's missing.
"Fuck." I muttered and crawled around the corner, then began running to the house.
I saw Pete walking down the road, and then stood by the steps facing the entrance to our house.
Carl must be in there, damnit.
I snuck around to the back of the house, where I frantically searched to find an entrance.
I looked up to see that a window on the second floor was open, and I pulled my knife out. I stuck it into the side of the house and stepped on it, grabbing the window with my right hand. I used all my might to pull myself up, until i got one leg over the window cill.
I straddled the window cill and bent down to pick up my knife, then swung inside the window.
I moved through the room swiftly, looking through the other room to see Pete starting to climb the front steps.
I swore under my breath and ran out of the room, then rushed down the stairs. I saw the back of Carl's head, and Judith in his arms.
I made eye contact with the baby girl, and snuck up behind Carl quickly.
I slipped my hand over his mouth, where he proceeded to try to scream and wiggle out of my grasp.
He turned around and made eye contact with me, his eyes wide.
Carl calmed a little, and leaned in to my touch, where I proceeded to lead him and the baby around the corner.
I moved my hand, and held my finger up to my lips.
"Shh. Stay here. Someone's in the house." I wrapped my finger's around the handle of my knife, and stood up. Before I moved Carl grabbed my wrist.
"Joelle." I spun around to look at him, and he pushed his lips firmly into mine.
I closed my eyes briefly, but pulled away after a few moments. I nodded to him before moving in the other direction, hiding behind the arm chair as Pete moved into the house.
I saw him move to the mantel, staring upwards.
Michonne's katana.
He grabbed it and moved swiftly out of the house.
My eyes widened and I moved back around the corner, swears falling from my mouth.