twenty-seven

a l e x

"Come on," Sophie grumbled, dragging me out of my room.

"You did this two days ago, Soph," I whined, pulling my arm out of her grasp before she could rip it out of the socket. "Collin can wait two damn minutes."

She stopped walking once she realized she wasn't holding my arm anymore. "He's already there. We're supposed to be on the way now. I thought you didn't like being late."

"I don't, but I like annoying him," I laughed, walking out of the apartment with her. "I don't get why I agree to third-wheel every time you ask."

"Because you love me," she grinned. "I told you that you can invite Luke if you wanted to."

I furrowed my eyebrows, locking the door behind me. "You never said that."

She shrugged then walked with me to my car. "Maybe I forgot. But if you want to, invite him. Maybe he'll bring Ashton."

I stared at her and laughed. "You have a boyfriend, honey."

"Yeah, I know," she acknowledged. "I just like looking at him, you know? He's a really good looking guy."

"He's also a really busy guy," I rolled my eyes. "One that's probably working."

She frowned and slumped in her seat as I drove to the address Collin texted me. "Fine."

"Call Luke on my phone, will ya?" I handed Sophie my phone. "Just put it on speaker."

My best friend tapped on my phone a few times before I heard the ringing sound on speaker. 

"Hey, what's up? You comin' over?"

"I'm with Soph right now. Are you doing anything today?" I asked.

"No, why?" he asked back.

"Come with us so that Alex won't have to third-wheel," Sophie offered.

"Oh hey, Sophie. Send me the place, I'll be there," Luke replied, and I heard some movement. He was probably preparing to leave.

"Yup, we'll text you," Sophie spoke into the phone before ending the call.

She typed away on my phone, and I pulled up to the place we were supposed to go to. I looked up at the sign. "Shooting range? Are you sure this is the right place?"

"Yup, sounds right," Sophie stepped out of the car once I parked. "Come on, it'll be fun."

"You're gonna see a new side of me today, Soph," I grinned, locking my car once I got out. "Get ready to be amazed by my skills."

The last time I had a gun in my hands was almost six years ago. My time in the agency when I was younger wasn't really something I looked back fondly on, given that it was part of the reason Luke and I broke up in the first place, and also the fact that it almost killed my sister.

I never told Sophie about it because I wasn't allowed to, and I wanted to keep my life. They might actually hunt me down and murder me if they found out I told someone outside the list of approved people about it.

"Just because you're good at most things doesn't mean you're going to be good at this," she poked my arm, walking in.

"If you say so," I sang. She had another thing coming for her.

We found Collin talking to the guy behind the counter and made our way to him. "Collin, Alex doesn't wanna accept that she might be bad at this."

"Well then, let's prove her wrong, come on," Collin jerked his head to the shooting area and led us to the place he reserved for us.