5.Jeff

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) // The Proclaimers

In the back of my mind, my brain is telling me that I should be freaking the fuck out. I should be inhaling this pizza and running the other direction. Or forgetting about the pizza altogether and getting myself out of the line of fire.

But it's pizza so I stay. Cause I fucking love pizza.

Most importantly, it's Alison. And I wasn't lying saying that she was worth it. She is. I can feel it in my gut that this girl is going to mean even more to me than she does right now. That we could have something special.

My dad knew it the instant he met my mom. And just like with Alison, it took my mom a little longer to see what the two of them could have. What they do have is amazing, and they've told Kyra and I their story more times than I can count so the two of us wouldn't walk away from the right person just because the circumstances weren't ideal.

Dating the coach's daughter when I'm barely starting with the team is hardly ideal. I think most of the guys on my team would tell me its stupid. Matt certainly would. That's the mindset I had as we walked in the door. I'm not afraid to date the coach's daughter because of the spark we had from the first moment.

But coach spun things on me. Things I hadn't considered. I don't want him to be in a tough spot because one of his players is dating his daughter. Damn, I didn't see things taking this turn. Doesn't change how I feel or what I want with Alison, though.

"I think Dad is gone for the night, so the interrogation won't repeat. If that's what you're worried about." Alison breaks the silence as we finish eating.

"No, I wasn't worried about that. I was just letting it all sink in, I guess. Sorry."

Alison looks at me. "No, I'm sorry. I should have asked better questions and spoken up when we met. I realized there was a possibility that this was the issue. I didn't want to deal with it if I didn't have to."

"Hey, it wasn't your job to prescreen us to date. We did what people do; get to know each other little by little. I didn't expect your entire life story on day one."

I sense her relief as I watch her features soften. I take the opportunity to reach out and grab her by the hand.

"Coach made some good points, but he didn't scare me off. We just have to be smart about dating, that's all. I'm a smart guy. You've proven to be a smart girl. We can figure this out one step at a time. Okay?"

"I don't know how smart I am, but I guess one step at a time is doable."

"Exactly." I finally feel like we've jumped over this hill. See? We can make this work.

"What's the next step, then?" Alison stands up to clear our trash. I help as I trail behind her.

"A quiet drive back to your place and you tell me all about this art internship you're doing. I tell you awkward stories about my family. We both laugh then I kiss you before you go into your apartment."

"Sounds like you've thought this through."

"Just the kissing part."

Alison smirks at me. She has as well, I can tell. Kissing her has been on my mind all week and I need more of it.

"Okay, we can go."

I grab her by the hand—I can't resist touching her--and we rush to the door. Kissing has me in a hurry now.

"Bye, Dad!"

"Thanks, Coach!"

We both call out to her dad as we leave. I open the passenger door for her, even though I know she doesn't really care about that kind of thing. But I do. It's a respect thing in my point of view.