Epilogue

Your Love // The Outfield

Jeff

Sitting around the pool with my buddies on the first day of summer is a tradition. At least it is now. I'm reclined on a lounge chair, sunglasses on and tunes playing. My eyes are closed but my ears take in everything.

Water splashing gently in the spa as someone moves around.

Sizzling meat on the grill.

Alison's laughter. That one brings a smile to my face. I love hearing her joy. But I'd even take her tears because that would mean she's with me.

"Dude, wake up. This is no time for a nap." Pete taps my leg with his foot. He's been brooding over something while sitting at the table next to me for the entire party.

"At least I'm not killing the vibe. I think you're the one who needs a nap." I sit up, pushing my shades to the top of my head. Matt walks over to us with his drink, eyes never leaving Hannah who's sitting on the edge of the spa dangling her feet in the water.

I couldn't have picked a better guy for my cousin. Although they went through hell to get to this point, I'm happy that they've worked through it all.

"Can you fix his mood?" I ask Matt as he takes a seat next to Pete. "He's harshing my mellow."

Matt laughs. "As if you'd ever mellow. You and pot don't mix." Matt shoves Pete's shoulder just enough to get a reaction, which he does. Pete twists his entire body away from Matt, scowling.

"Anyway," Matt rolls his eyes then looks at me. "When are you telling everyone?"

"After we eat."

"No, that'll take too long. Tell 'em now so I can start making plans with Hannah. She's got appointments to work around."

"Tell them what?" Pete asks.

"You, too."

Pete looks at Matt. "What?"

"He's telling you, too. You're included. Although with your grouchy attitude today I'm thinking we might need to vote you off the island."

Pete turns his head away in answer. Something is eating at him, has been for months. He was like this senior year, too. Although that had something to do with Matt swooping in on a girl he'd been crushing on.

Could this be about a girl?

I make a mental note to ask him about it sometime. But right now I have bigger things to think about. Namely this surprise that Matt and I have cooked up for the entire group.

"Might as well tell everyone now." I stand up and walk over to the spa. The girls stop their conversation to look up at me, flanked by Matt with Pete lurking in the distance. I hop into the spa and put my arm around Alison, but Matt sits on the edge next to Hannah.

"Mark your calendars for two weeks from now. We're all going up to Salt Creek for the Music by Moonlight Fest."

"You got them?" Alison wraps her arms around my waist, wide eyed.

I nod. "And Tye reserved the cabin for us. We can all stay there together."

Matt interjects. "Micah's working up there, but he'll hang out after his shifts. Probably his friend, Charlie, too."

"She's so cool." Misty claps, bouncing in the spa and causing water to slosh over the edge.

"Dang, you get to have all the fun." Matt's little brother, Mark, climbs out of the pool where he'd been dunking pool weights and diving to get them. The kid just turned fifteen and has almost as much angst as Pete.