Lisa Vs The Zombie Apocalypse P2

It had always been next to unheard of for Lisa to be late to anything so she was rather annoyed about running as late as she was. She went into her office where she conducted her official interim mayor business and typed up a set of papers. At about 1200 words a minute, making the sound of clicking keys blur together into a continuous drone. Her current secretary Jeremy walked in after her and stared at the general vicinity of her hands.

"Everyone is really upset at how late the town hall meeting is running."

"Yeah, well, they can blame a bunch of rule-breakers for that. I had to make sure they didn't get eaten out there."

"They want to..."

Lisa cut him off with a swipe of her hand and stood up, "I don't have time to dally about. Here, once the cache catches up, print this out and take it to the town hall meeting. Read from this for me while I go out and deal with stuff."

"They're not going to be happy."

"They're mad now, they're going to be deeply unsettled in about 45 minutes," Lisa said as she walked out the door at high speed, leaving Jeremy little choice to do as she'd instructed.

He arrived at the larger meeting room with a small stack of papers and winced as people started yelling at him. He took a while to explain that she wasn't going to be there but had left something of a script.

A former city councilwoman named Linda pushed her way to the front of the crowd and Jeremy raised an eyebrow when he saw that one of the first things on Lisa's printout was addressed 'Reply to Linda's complaints about government.'

"Where does our alleged 'interim mayor' think she's going? Does she really think she can hold the power all for herself without any sort of elections?"

"Mayor DeLuca is attending to various practical functions of government at the moment, and she also says..." Jeremy squinted at the printout for a moment before continuing, "she also says she could have named herself First Citizen Lisa or something else overtly dictator-like and no one could have stopped her. Appendix one has her proposals for democratic elections..." he flipped to the back and pulled a sheet out marked Appendix One and handed it to her, "she says you're free to consult with your team about which one to go with."

"Hmph, well... I guess it's something," Linda skimmed it over and said, "These all call for starting the campaign in two days... and for what it's worth I think the first one is the best."

"It's most like the city's process, right?" Jeremy asked as he held a finger on a line that read 'She'll like the first one because the process is most familiar to her.'

"It's satisfactory, but I'm surprised she's starting them so soon, I was sure she'd push it off for a while."

"Well, Lisa...err... Interim Mayor DeLuca has stated she has further plans she wants to start as soon as possible. If it helps, she's not on the ballot at all."

There was a doctor concerned with antibiotics, a representative of an old farmer's union concerned about fertilizer distribution, and the list seemed to go on and on. Again and again Lisa's notes addressed their concerns and in one case of a utilities engineer actually included a diagram in the third appendix to explain why she was right and he was missing a couple details. Nearly fifty minutes into the meeting Jeremy found himself listening to the complaints of someone who worked in water reclamation.

"She says she knows that the system needs some reworking if it's going to last more than a year and that...she's...just done it..." Jeremy looked up as the door opened and Lisa walked in.