14: Felix

Felix

He was laying with his head on Changbin's chest, their breathing slow. It felt warm and safe and for a moment he had been able to forget everything. He could rest. He could hear Changbin's heart beating, its rhythm steady and calming him down. What is wrong with him?  He had been in the mansion for almost two weeks now. Even though he was no step closer to finding out what his father was hiding and what they meant with the vault. He was feeling more at home.  He was getting along with the guys, he was getting along with Changbin. He had only been here for two weeks, but they already felt like a family. During the day he had not much to do, so usually, he would clean the house. Changbin was often by Chan's side, and the others all had their day jobs. Felix did not really know what they did during the day but they always said work. Often someone was around though, someone to babysit him.

The only times Changbin was not by Chan's side, was when he received an envelope. That was the time Changbin would disappear on his own for a few hours. Felix noticed that whenever he returned afterward, Changbin would seek out his company. This week it happened three times and it reminded him of before all this shit went down, back at the White monkey. Changbin would come to his room in the evening looking just like he would look when they met back then. He was unsure if the others in the house knew that Changbin would sometimes spend the night with him. No one made a comment about it after the first time they forgot to close the door. Changbin did not wear a mask whenever he was in Felix's room. As if the small moments they had together were moments of peace. He knew Hyunjin did not trust him, and Jisung and Jeongin were kind to him but he was uncertain how they really felt. Felix barely spoke to Minho or Seungmin. Mostly because Seungmin was working in the hospital most of the time, when he was around, Felix preferred to avoid him. After Seungmin had seen his back he had been acting strange. Minho always seemed to randomly appear and disappear.

A part of him wished he could stay. These people were not related by blood but they looked like a family. He closed his eyes, thinking of his own family. They were never really happy, but there were times when they were close. When his brother used to take him out of the house when their dad was shouting. They would always go to the park, hiding under the slide. When his father would go looking for them, his brother would them that their hiding place was like a vault, keeping them safe. He opened his eyes, sitting up suddenly. He could hear a groan from Changbin next to him, but instead quickly got up from his bed, going through his bag.

"What are you doing?" He heard Changbin's rough voice but he ignored it. He pulled out the small box, turning it over in his hand.

"The slide..." He whispered to himself and Changbin got up behind him. Felix quickly put the box down again turning around.

"Did you figure it out?" Changbin asked but Felix just shook his head.

"I just realized something about my brother... but I don't think it has anything to do with my father's vault," Felix said, trying to brush it off as he walked back to the bed. Changbin stood there standing a bit longer.

Felix worked the mechanism of the box opening it. Only to be met with disappointment. Empty. He turned the box upside down, shaking it, but nothing. With a groan, he threw it down. It bounced off the bed onto the floor. Changbin walked to it and picked it up, examining the little box.

"What was in it?" He asked... Felix opened his mouth to respond just as there was an explosion shaking both of them. Felix quickly got up from the bed looking at Changbin with wide eyes. Changbin remained calm and walked to the window peeking out before turning back to Felix.

"Don't move..." Changbin said as he quickly put a mask on his face and walked out. Felix looked around, walking to the window to see the fire from the garage.

"Stay here my ass..." Felix said as he quickly put some more clothes on and walked downstairs.

He heard the voices as soon as he reached the stairs. "I know he is here... hand him over." Taeyong. Felix could recognize that voice anywhere.

"And what makes you say that?" Chan responded, sounding more arrogant than Felix had heard him in the two weeks he had been with them. He peeked around the corner and noticed the group of people gathered in the receiving hall. His eyes went straight to Changbin and he couldn't resist the shiver going down his back. The way Changbin stood there was positively intimidating.

"The attack on our warehouse. It was you," Taeyong said as he walked around the room. "We had him before then. Of Course, we were not made aware of his value yet. You took him and now we want him back."

"I have no idea what you are talking about..." Chan responded, still sounding cocky.

"Maybe this will help you refresh your memory," Taeyong said, snapping his fingers. Jeongin was brought forward and forced on his knees. Taeyong pointing a gun at his head.

The guys all moved forward, only Chan remained standing there. His arms are still crossed. "What does this prove, Taeyong? Will you really shoot one of my members? Are you really prepared for the war that will ensue if you do?" Chan responded calmly. Jeongin, who was poked repeatedly with the gun, looked up at Chan with confidence. Felix balled his fist watching the scene. If he came out now... would that save Jeongin or would he get shot anyway? He could never trust Taeyong or any of his members. If they knew Felix was involved with SKZ it would do more harm than good.

Taeyong laughed, and Felix looked around the corner again. "You don't know a thing about the rat you pulled into your house, do you?" Changbin took a threatening step forward. But Taeyong just clicked his tongue. "Lease your dog." He said to Chan, and Chan shook his head at Changbin.

"Considering you are willing to sacrifice your own member to keep his location safe, let me tell you who you are really protecting. What you are keeping from our leaders."

"Lee Felix... born as Lee Yongbok. He is patient zero." Taeyong said and when Chan took a step back, Taeyong continued with a smirk on his face. "They want him alive, because even if they can't find the vault... they might get answers from his body. All the money his father borrowed went into experimenting on his own son and he was successful. Do you really want to withhold the truth from our leaders?"

Felix sat back against the wall, his eyes closed. He couldn't breathe.

"You really think that man was foolish enough to do anything without a backup plan. He knew what he was doing. He knew how to make a powerful man submit to him." Taeyong went on. "Felix is the cure... and you are keeping him here."

Felix was clawing at his neck. He couldn't breathe. It hurt. "You are going to bring us success. We will have all the riches and peace all because of you, Felix. You will not only save your mother. You will bring them all down." His father's voice was ringing through his ear as he collapsed on the floor.

A shot rang out, followed by Hyunjin screaming, and Felix his eyes went wide. His breath flooded back inside and he crawled to the edge. Peeking around the corner he saw the fury of bodies. People were fighting and shouting. "He is upstairs. Felix is upstairs." He heard it clearly.

Fight or flight. That is the choice people made whenever they were in danger. Felix, even though he was a good fighter, never picked fights. He would always choose flight. He crawled up from the floor. Making his way back into his room. There he crawled out of the window. He climbed down the side of the building and ran through the beautiful garden.

When he reached the forest he peaked back. The outside of the mansion showed nothing of what is going on inside.

Patient zero. The cure.

He was the cure of what?