Part One

TWs:
Notes: this was written along side Camp_Gravity

It was a normal day in la familia Madrigal, at least, it seemed like it was. Mirabel had woken up first, she usually was the first one to.  But, she woke up in an unfamiliar room.

Everything around her felt dry and whatever she was laying on did not feel like the bed she usually slept on. She felt sand under her fingertips. The texture made it rough and she could feel it getting stuck under her nails as she felt in her sleep.

She slowly sat up and a rat jumped off her stomach. She yelped and quickly tried to push it away from her.

She felt around for her glasses. She only felt the rough and crusty sand. She rubbed her eyes, trying to see better, completely forgetting about the sand still on her fingers. The sand got into her eyes, making them water.

She groaned in pain and quickly tried to clean her hands off her dress to try to wipe the sand on her eyes and face. She blinked rapidly to get the sand out of her eyes. The sand eventually got out and she squinted to try and figure out where she was.

There was only one place she could remember off the top of her head that would have this much sand. But how did she get into her Tío Bruno's room? She thought back to the night before, remembering full well that she went to sleep in her own room.

She slowly stood up, more rats jumping off her body. It felt uncomfortable, seeing so many and now knowing that they were all around her.

How did Bruno stand them? She's seen them pop out of his sleeve, under his poncho, and some even coming out of his hair. It was ridiculous and honestly unsanitary.

Now, how did she get here?

And if she was here... where was Bruno?

Was he in her room?

If so, then why?

Was it some kind of prank?

Whatever it was, she wouldn't find out by just staying in here.

She slowly left. It was harder without her green framed glasses. She was somehow able to make it and left the room to find the others. She didn't notice that the door that once said Bruno now said her name.