Part Eleven

TWs:
Notes: Written along side Camp_Gravity

Meanwhile, back at the house, most of the family stayed in their rightful rooms. Some, maybe, stayed in the one with their new gift that helped them control it better, Isabela being an example to that.

Camilo stayed in his room, feeling a little more in control being in the shifting room. After about an hour, he didn't like being able not to shift. He liked shifting, it was fun and it was an easy way to express himself when he felt different.

Sure it did cause a little bit of identity problems, but it was a huge part of who he was. He was chosen to have that gift, the gift to shapeshift. But now that it was gone, what did he have? He had his tía's gift and he couldn't even cook!

What was he to do? He felt useless which made him feel hopeless. Is this how his cousin, Mirabel, always felt? He sat on the bed. He felt lost. He hoped that this conflict would get resolved soon.

He really missed his gift more than he really thought he would.

Suddenly, a gentle knock came at his door.

He looked up. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I need some assistance por favor." Antonio's voice came from outside of the door.

Camilo hopped off the bed and opened the door. "What's up?"

Antonio was there and looked up at him. "I'm really sorry to disturb you."

"You aren't disturbing me."

"Pero... no importa. I just need your help."

"I'm here to help. That's what I do."

He nodded. "Well, I'm actually not Antonio. This is your Tía Julieta."

Camilo chuckled. "Can't control it?"

She sighed. "One of Antonio's cats passed by in front of me in the kitchen while he was chasing it and my allergies acted up. So when I sneezed, I was suddenly Antonio."

"Yeah... the first week or two of having it, any coughs, sneezes, or hiccups, I was someone else. Now it just acts up when I'm panicked."

She frowned. "Why do you panic?"

"Just scared of messing up or disappointing everyone."

She nodded with understanding and grabbed his hands. "You have nothing to worry about, sobrino. We would never be disappointed in you."

"I feel like I'm not good enough for everyone."

"Why is that?"

"I'm just my gift."

"You are so much more then that though."

"I am."

"But I am not just a healer that my gift has made me to be. I am also a wife, a mother and a tía. I would like to consider myself as an artist and a care taker. You are more than your gift as well."

"My gift is a lot of fun, but I have to always make everyone happy."

"That isn't your only job though. And it doesn't have to be your job either, you do what you want with your gift."

"Abuela wants me to make sure everyone's happy, so that's what I do."

"You are not the only one trying to make people happy. And though helping others that is a pleasant reward, you shouldn't forget about yourself."

He shrugged. "I'm not very important."

Julieta frowned and shook her head. "Everyone is important. That includes you."