Star Trek Voyager: Eternity (Chapter 2)

Seven’s head was throbbing as she walked away from Chakotay; it was becoming even harder to keep her emotions in check, especially after he had interacted with Luke. She glanced anxiously down at her son; he had recently developed the habit of running away from her but at the moment he was close in at her side. She felt relief surge through her as they entered the comparative safety of Naomi’s quarters but that relief was destined to be short lived as Isabel’s distinctive crying reached her ears. Her sixteen month old daughter was sitting in the middle of the floor bawling her eyes out.

Seven knelt down beside her, “What happened, baby?” she asked her in concern.

Isabel turned her bright blue eyes up to her mother, tears dripping off her thick black lashes. “Mama…bunny…bunny…” she sobbed inconsolably.

Naomi appeared round the corner. “I’m sorry Seven; I couldn’t find it in the things you brought over…”

“Don’t worry I’ll find it somewhere, she’s just tired…” She turned back to her daughter.”…aren’t you?” Seven pushed Isabel’s jet black hair out of her face and kissed her forehead before picking her up and rising off the floor. “Thank you for watching them Naomi, say thank you to Naomi Luke.”

Luke grinned up at Naomi. “Thank you…you’re fun.”

Naomi beamed at him in pleasure. “Thank you! Oh Seven, Commander Paris told me to tell you that Isabel’s cot and Luke’s bed have been moved to his quarters.”

“What? I thought everything was being moved to Cargo Bay 2?”

“That’s what he told me to tell you.” Said Naomi apologetically.

Seven sighed. “It’s fine. I will attend to it.” She shifted Isabel onto her other hip and looked down at Luke. “Come on, my love.” The little family left and began to walk to Tom and B’Elanna’s quarters. When Seven rang the bell B’Elanna answered almost immediately. “B’Elanna you don’t have to keep their things, they can go in the cargo bay…”

“Seven! They can stay here; you know they’re Miral’s favourite playmates. I have everything all set out for them.”

“But…”

“They’re staying here! Look, hopefully this situation will only last one night…” B’Elanna saw Seven wince at her words and quickly changed the subject. “Come in.” She led Seven to a small room where Luke’s bed and Isabel’s cot had been made up. “I’ll leave you to put them down to sleep.” Seven nodded to her and she left.

As soon as Seven set Isabel down on the floor to fish out pyjamas for her and her brother, she began to cry again. Feeling her patience begin to wear thin, Seven turned to her in exasperation. “What’s wrong Isabel?”

“Bunny…bunny…” wailed Isabel insistently.

“It’s lost.” Luke told her solemnly. This predictably just made Isabel cry louder.

Seven turned to Luke, “Just get into your nightclothes Luke.” All this crying was going beyond what she could tolerate. “I can’t find it just now Isabel!” Even after almost three years as a mother she was still unable to understand a child’s capacity to become attached to an inanimate object.

“No…” Isabel whimpered. Seven realised then that true to form Isabel wasn’t going to sleep without her pink cuddly rabbit she had had since she was a day old. She had a bad feeling about where it was but what was she supposed to do? Go up to Chakotay and ask outright to search his quarters? Excuse me, I know you think these are your quarters but can I search what is normally our children’s room for our daughter’s toy? She won’t go to sleep without it. Even the thought of it made her eyes burn with long suppressed tears.