Part 18

I sit up, gasping for air and completely confused.

I'm on the couch, in the lounge room. The television is on, playing re-runs of SpongeBob and Dylan is asleep on the couch next to me. It was a dream and thank god for that. My head is still pounding though and my heartbeat is fast and unsteady. I can feel beads of sweat form on my forehead and I take in deep breaths.
Somewhere in this process I woke Dylan up because he now is sitting right next to me.

"Ava. What's wrong?"

It was a dream right? He's not dying? As stupid as it may sound, the dream felt so realistic that I feel the need to ask the following question.

"Are you dying?"

Dylan stares at me like I'm a complete idiot at first but then shows small glimpses of sympathy. "Last time I checked I wasn't." Sarcastic Dylan is back. "It's just a fever Ava, people get them."

I calm down. A dream has never felt that real before and I swear I can almost taste the salty air on my lips.

"I had a dream that felt as realistic as right now. You said you were dying but I never got to know how."

"Ava." Dylan's voice calls and I snap my attention up to him. "I'm not dying and I'm going to stick around to annoy you for a long time."

I smile at the thought of that. "Okay."

"I'd kiss you right now but then you'd get sick. So just come here you crazy munchkin."

I lean into Dylan's open arms and he rolls us back so I'm lying my head on his chest. I hug him tight, scared that moments ago I thought I was losing him.

"It's okay. I love you." He soothes, comforting me.

"I love you too."

~*~ [Next day.]

"So Dylan's not dying?" Holland asks as she bites into a red apple.

"No. I just dreamt it all and if felt so realistic."

"Dreams a weird like that."

"Try freaky." I correct.

"Is Dylan all better now?"

I nod, happy he isn't sick anymore.

Before I can say anything more, my phone vibrates in my pocket.

Dylan: We're all down at the beach, come join us and bring Holland too.

"Want to go to the beach? Apparently they're all down at the beach." I ask Holland.

"I thought they were going shopping?"

"They must of finished."

"Okay let's go."

I quickly text him back before heading out the door, already wearing my bikini under my clothes.

Me: Okay, on our way! xx

Once we reach the beach, we look around for the others but no ones here. Literally no one is here, the beach is deserted.

"I thought you said they were all down here?" Holland questions, still searching for the others.

"Yeah that's what Dylan said." I say as I show her the text from Dylan.

I dial Dylan's number and after about three rings he picks up.

"Where are you?" I immediately ask.

"Just follow the clues."

And that's all I get from him before he hangs up the phone. Great.