It's Me

A Tinny staticy ringing noise filled her ears. Meredith looked around. She was in the lobby. Why was she in the lobby? She noticed something else too... she could breathe. The pain was gone.

''Am I dead?'' Her voice seemed to echo around her.

''No.'' A voice said. A voice she hadn't heard in ages.

She spun around, and saw him. He was seated in a chair, a folder tucked under his arm. His posture was relaxed, his hair perfectly styled, and he had that look.

"Derek?" His name came out of her lips a strangled cry.

He stood up and grasped her shoulders. She could feel his hands, warm and firm. "It's me."

"How? Wha-" Meredith reached out to affirm. Her hands settled on his chest. It felt real. "But..."

"You're dreaming," Derek said softly, "You blacked out, remember?"

Sudden memories surfaced. She had been thrown around the trauma room like a rag doll. She gasped. "I was attacked."

"Yes." Derek said slowly.

"Lou, my patient, he-" She couldn't comprehend it. He hurt her. And it wasn't good.

Derek's head tilted, his expression sad and pained. "I know." He choked. He pulled her into an embrace as she tried to fight the shock. Her head tucked into his neck and she could smell his aftershave.

Then she flinched and grabbed her arm.

"Meredith?"

"I don't know," she said.

Derek looked around, the edges of the lobby were becoming blurry. "You're going to wake up soon."

Meredith shook her head. "No. I want to stay here."

Derek exhaled. "It doesn't work that way."

Pain flared in her side. "Ow."

He held her head in his palms. Her gaze absorbed every feature, from the small scar on his forehead to his slightly crooked nose, to the stubble that framed his face.

"It's going to hurt. A lot." Meredith swallowed.

Derek stroked her cheek, tucking her hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry."

"Kiss me."

His lips touched hers, soft at first, then firm, she opened up to him and inhaled. It was fire. It was passion. It was exactly as she remembered but more. Her eyes were closed and she was breathing him in.

And then she opened her eyes and the dream was gone. Harsh bright lights- and faces- her friends, colleagues.

And then the pain- it hurt to breathe. Everything hurt- Everywhere. She looked frantically for support, but then realized she couldn't hear, she couldn't speak.

Pain exploded as she was tilted for an X-ray. She was sure she screamed bloody murder.

And then Jackson gripped her jaw. No. No please... I want to go back. Derek!

Thanks for reading! Leave a comment, vote, or add this to your list! More to come!