Chapter 5 - Come Back to Us, Kara

"Kara, calm down. It's been months since this happened and she hasn't shown up. She must have run away like Lex wanted, she must not even be in the country anymore." Lena tried to calm Kara down.

"I can't. She and Lex have tried to finish me off so many times, Lena... they've always wanted to attack me, hurt me, tried to take you away from me so many times. It terrifies me to think that she can keep trying... right now... I am scared."

"My mother tried and failed every time. And it will continue to be that way, she won't make it. If she appears again, she will be arrested, there are many convictions against her."

Lena hugged Kara seeing the fear in her blue eyes. She was also afraid, she knew what the woman who had raised her was like after her birth mother died. More than ever, she felt the need to protect Kara. It was the woman of steel there in her arms, but in that instant she felt vulnerable, like someone in need of protection.

"I need to go to the DEO to talk to Alex, I need to make sure they'll track down any trace of Lillian, that they'll protect you." Kara said.

"And protect you too, please. It terrifies me to think she might try something against you, Kara."

Kara nodded, understanding that Lena was also wary of the news when she saw her green eyes cloudy with worry. Kara kissed Lena's forehead tenderly and walked to the balcony, where she took flight to the DEO.

(...)

That night Lena came home with a heavy head. She had gone through months of dark mourning for her family, and in the end, her mother was still alive. She thought of how her family had hurt Kara, had tried to take her life. Her sweet Kara. She had confidence in Alex and the DEO team to track down Lillian and protect Kara, but it was imperative that she herself be safe as well. The next day she would take steps to tighten her security system, perhaps hire private security, or even ask DEO agents to escort her.

Too late.

Lena opened the door to her penthouse, walked in and typed in the password that locked everything. She flipped on one of the lights, placed her cell phone and bag on the counter next to her, and froze in terror as she looked at the figure seated in one of her armchairs. The person reached out and turned on the lamp that revealed her face and the gun in her hand, pointed directly at Lena.

"Good night dear. I've been waiting for you." Lillian said in a quiet voice.

"Mother...how did you get in here?" Lena's voice was full of terror.

"I missed you too, honey."

"Where have you been all this time? I thought you were dead...or run away from here."

"I really thought about running away, but I decided to go back and settle some points. I left a lot of unfinished business here."

"What unfinished business? You just left a trail of hate and destruction, Lex sure got that trait out of you."

The mention of Lex's name made Lillian rise from her chair, never failing to point her gun in Lena's direction.

"I was going to leave this mediocre city with your brother anyway, we were all set to go to our island in the Nordic seas. We were already in the hangar when I decided to stay. As incredible as it may seem, I decided to stay for you, to take you along with us."

"And what fantasy world did you think I would even go with you guys?"

"I never said I would give you the option."

Lena glared furiously at Lillian, who spoke as if she were a puppy that could be taken wherever her mother wanted.

Lillian continued. "I told your brother to go ahead, I'd catch another jet the next day, as soon as I picked you up. I was still in the hangar when I saw my precious Lex's plane explode."