18.

Seraphima left the room crammed with gasping breaths and pain-filled moans echoing from the elders of the house. She didn't leave any of her enchanted light crystal darts behind but she did gift those old geriatrics with deep wounds that affected their sufferings which would eventually lead them to death unless if anyone else came to save them.

The brunette sneaked around with vigilant glances at every nook and cranny of the area, surely, the palace was a large place full of labyrinth corridors and paths that didn't take in her mind to memorize.

As she was roughly away from the room where those robed elders stayed, she heard a piercing scream from maid. She must have discovered those scarred men laying on the marbled floor. The terrified cries of the attendant must've alarmed the nearby guards, followed with rushing footsteps.

Seraph clenched her jaw, her hood covering her face as she dashed away silently with the covers of the shadow. There were guards everywhere and if they see her, she would get caught. With her black-silver boots tapping against the floor, she hurriedly strode towards a corner and into another long corridor.

It was a disadvantage to her. There no hiding places in sight except for a singular light brown door in between two pillars, a guard was standing there along with another guard, idly chatting away with a relaxed composure. Seraphima used her magic as she dashed and turned translucent, her figure was made invisible in order to not be seen by the naked eye then she hid behind a quartz pillar.

"That was odd," said one of the guards who looked at her way, fortunately not noticing the brown-haired woman, "I thought I've seen something."

His companion chuckled while patting his shoulder, "Must have been the trick of the light or you are just stressed from work."

He brushed him off while tilting his head, suspicious at her direction, "I swear, I think something or someone moved in here."

"Maybe a squirrel?" The guard suggested, "The last time you've seen something. It turns out to be a squirrel. Or was it a mouse?"

He glanced at his acquaintance with a quizzical look, "A squirrel? A mouse? Why those rodents? I've seen a sparrow last time, not some pesky pests loving acorns and cheese."

"Oh, well, maybe right now you've just seen a mouse—"

"The elders were attacked! We need assistance!" Another guard arrived, bending over with his hands on his knees as he panted for air, panic washed on his face. "The two of you follow me!" The armoured men glanced at each with questioning stares as they followed their fellow guard, heading to another direction.

Seraph immediately went to the door. She shook its knob, twisting it but she realized that it was lock. She slightly stomped her foot on the floor, a hint of annoyance splashed on her facial expressions. She summoned her darts, its size varying from what she was used to, these two darts she had were smaller and thinner then she bent down, lockpicking the doorknob.

After series of twists and turns, clicking sounds followed, signifying that the door was available to be open for her. Seraphima quickly stepped in and shut the wooden barrier behind her, a deep sigh escaping her pink lips.

Her right hand reached up to clasp the necklace, the smooth surface of the crystal palpable against her calloused skin.

"Finally. Now, where am I?" She got off from the door and looked around. There were rows of books on beautiful wooden shelves made out of narra and maps and scrolls plastered on walls and sprawled out on tables. Everything was covered in dust, perhaps, due to the fact that no one uses this room anymore.

Sauntering towards a specific table, she glanced at the contents on its surface. Sketches on yellow paper, old quill with dried ink and a large map.