Chapter 9

Demonclaw charged at the head of his patrol as the ambushed a ThunderClan patrol. Demonclaw slammed his shoulder into Birchfall and the older tom stumbled in surprise. He lashed out with his teeth and sunk them into Birchfall's shoulder. Cinderheart came closer to help him, but Nettle sprang to his aid. While Nettle kept Cinderheart occupied with her well-aimed blows and quick reflexes, Demonclaw slashed Birchfall's nose, slicing the tip off. The tom fell over in pain, and Demonclaw loomed over him, ready to make the killing bite, when a black shape pushed him off.

Hollyleaf slammed him into the ground and Demonclaw struggled to get back up. Hollyleaf, however, was older and heavier, so Demonclaw resorted to tearing at her underbelly. The she-cat howled in pain and tumbled off him. He latched his teeth onto Hollyleaf's leg, biting down as hard as he could. Hollyleaf thrashed around angrily.

"Help Hollyleaf!" Demonclaw looked up to see Spark battling Squirrelflight while the ginger she-cat barked orders. While he watched, Squirrelflight pushed Spark down, with Spark scrabbling at her underbelly. Demonclaw abandoned Hollyleaf to help his ex-mate. He pushed Squirrelflight off and while the ThunderClan cat gasped for air, he helped Spark up.

"I still love you," Spark whispered fiercely.

"Me too, but now I realize I love you like a littermate, not like a mate," Demonclaw whispered back.

Their moment was broken by Ivypool falling on top of him. He surged upwards, clawing at her neck. Ivypool shrieked in pain, drawing Lionblaze towards them. Demonclaw gritted his teeth in anger. These cats were like fleas, never giving up! He gripped Lionblaze's ear with his teeth while he kicked Ivypool's stomach with his hind legs. Lionblaze pulled back; his ear bleeding. Demonclaw turned his attention back to Ivypool, battering her up some more, before looking around for his Clanmates.

Thunderstorm and Toadstep had Bloodmoon cornered. Demonclaw rushed to help the orange-red tom, head-butting Toadstep aside while clawing Thunderstorm. Bloodmoon stood up shakily. "I thought I was crow-food," he stammered.

"You're welcome," Demonclaw mewed brusquely. "Now, if you don't mind, there are more cats to fight."

He dashed back into the battle. A pale tortoiseshell and white cat was licking a cut on her flank. She would be her next target. Demonclaw fumbled around for a name but couldn't remember. He lunged at her. The tortoiseshell dodged the lunge and leaped into the air to claw at his face. Demonclaw countered the move easily by leaping up too, so while the tortoiseshell was landing, confused, he was landing after her. He slammed his paw down on her head and she crumpled to the ground, dazed.

Demonclaw left her alone since she was already unconscious and his Clanmates needed help. Ruthless was bravely taking three on one. Demonclaw rushed to help, knocking Thunderstorm out of the way to reach her. After hauling Lionblaze off Ruthless, the black she-cat dipped her head before racing off to help Hawk.

Demonclaw glanced around. Squirrelflight was looking towards the trees, and he leapt towards her. His heart dropped when she flicked her tail. It was a signal.

"RevengeClan! Regroup!" he yowled quickly.

More ThunderClan cats raced out of the trees. To Demonclaw's horror, his mother was leading them.

Demonclaw lunged at the closest cat, not caring who it was, biting and scratching with everything he had. The cat quickly darted away with a few bleeding scratches to cower behind Squirrelflight. He bared his teeth in a snarl, leaping for another cat. A ginger pelt flashed below him, and he realized he'd been tearing at Dawnpaw in his rage. He quickly let go, horrified.

"I'm sorry," he murmured.

"Go." Dawnpaw growled.

Demonclaw obeyed, joining the fight again and leaving Dawnpaw alone.

"Demonclaw, this is madness!" a voice hissed in his ear.

Demonclaw looked up from the fight he'd been in; him versus a bulky tom. The voice was Echoflight.

"The prophecy was supposed to save us!" Echoflight was clearly worried.

"Why should I care about you?" Demonclaw muttered. "I should kill you."

"No, you won't. Because I'm going to challenge you." Echoflight said.

"You're what?" Demonclaw choked.

"I'm going to challenge you. Go on, stop the fighting." Echoflight snarled. "Unless you're too scared."

"Never." Demonclaw puffed out his chest, then raised his voice in a yowl. "Stop the fighting!"

His cats stopped fighting immediately. Ruthless shot him a questioning look. Demonclaw stepped forwards, then felt his paw nudge something. He looked down and to his horror, Claw was lying on the ground, blood emerging from his throat. His first ally...was dead?

Demonclaw noticed the ThunderClan cats, especially Goldenperch, hesitating as if they weren't sure if it was a trick. Then, Echoflight stepped forwards.

"Demonclaw, I challenge you to a fight."