Chapter 5 - The Factory

Deeper in the heart of the factory, while still above the ground, Emily had settled in a small bedroom with dark worn-out walls and a dirty window she could not see through. The bed was massive but looked like it hadn't been slept in forever. She placed her purse atop the wooden dresser, plugged her iPod in the outlet and let that same song play that Heisenberg used to lure her into the room he awaited her earlier.

As the song played, her thoughts were plagued with the event at the lower level. Heisenberg was immune to the power of lightning. It didn't seem possible but it was, perhaps he had electricity in him too. That would explain his ability to control metal, wouldn't it? If Miranda gave him this power to him in some way, she wanted to know more, even if he sounded crazy and egoistic.

Remember what mom always said, some people are just damaged, there's a reason for their attitudes. Be as kind as you can but you cannot fix their broken pieces. That power rests solely on them. That was the first sentence Emily heard her mom speak to her when she was still an infant. It was on the day of the storm, the day of her death. He gave me a place to stay, should I give him a chance and compensate somehow? I could be in a situation a lot worse than his hospitality.

Emily remembered asking the other scientists in her father's lab for more information about her mother after the latter's death. Many of them said she was a beautiful and kind woman who was never afraid of anyone, no matter how selfish, or how much they had suffered. Those were things she could squeeze out in those rare times when she wasn't being tested by those servants of her father. As for Heisenberg, that explained one thing, she was torn between distrust with fear and admiration with curiosity towards him, the latter being from her mother's kind nature she must have inherited without knowing.

Emily removed her N7 sweater and hung it on the tarnished metal chair. Now in just her pink tank top and jeans, her prediction of the factory being heated was correct. Heisenberg had brought her to this room and she was expecting more of a dungeon with chains. She had not said a word as she followed him up two levels of the building to the bedroom. Then he had left her there to tend to something else, Emily suspected it was to inform Miranda but it sounded like he hated the latter too much to bother communicating. On the bright side, he clearly liked her enough to give her a place with a warm bed in a solitary location.

The door flew open and Heisenberg entered the room,

"Comfortable buttercup? It's all you're getting. This room used to be mine before Miranda locked up this village," he smiled hearing the song again and had just walked in as it concluded. Emily switched the iPod off.

"Awww you still don't trust me? Well, that's gonna change. You want to know what I'm all about?"

Emily was unsure of what to say like she had lost all her ability to even utter a single word. Should I give him a chance? What if he betrays me and gives me to whatever that thing was down in that hole that he was yelling at? She shuddered and tried to brush those images from her mind, but now it was obvious there was more to them than meets the eye.

"Well, if you're not going to say anything then come, I will show you around my factory. Perhaps it'll become clear to you what I intend to do to that bitch," he gestured towards the door like a butler. Emily walked quietly out and down the same stairs until they were in a different room where she could no longer tell if they were on the same level as where he found her. The walls and ceilings were lined with many pipes twisting and turning with each corner. Then the corridor opened into a square central room with a wide cage-like box that might as well be an elevator.

Emily looked perplexed at the layout of everything, and saw beyond the cage was an exit towards an open field with more scraps of metal lying around as it might as well be a backyard or battlefield for a giant monster to use.