Chapter 10

Selene almost fell off. Yelena pulled her back just in time and looked at Mateo.

"How many?" Yelena asked.

"Apparently this is their nice chilling spot, and it seems like demigods like to live here too." Mateo said, frowning a little.

"Fine, hurry. We're on the top and there is no way I want to fall off." Selene muttered, not knowing how hard it was, as they had only one exit.

"Point is, there's only one exit," Mateo said, sighing. Then he pulled out an arrow, while Yelena pulled out her scythe. Selene stumbled a little as she tried getting on her feet, dead tired. She weakly pulled out her knife, but before she could do anything, she crumpled to her knees.

"Guess I'm too tired," Selene mumbled weakly.

"Stay here then. You're not experienced and I don't want you to get hurt." Looking off the roof Yelena added, "At least move a little farther." 

Selene crawled a little farther away from the edge, before taking the nice collection of stars she had in her hand. Yelena turned to look at her, and figuring out what Selene would do, she nodded. Selene's head was feeling dizzy. 

Yelena moved towards the door warily, and Mateo stood behind, trailing after her his bow ready. They walked away, leaving Selene to try to rub the headache out. She twidled her thumbs and tossed the stars between her hands. The sun was gone and the stars were out. However, Selene couldn't see her favourite thing in the sky, the constellations. The smoke covered them, and she could see only a few stars.

Selene felt better in the night. It was relaxing and though her head was heavy, she felt like she could breathe properly again. Selene lay down on the floor of the roof, breathing in deeply. Though she wasn't very high up, maximum eight floors, Selene still felt relief in high places. That didn't have a roof.

The stars shined, looking like the same colour as the stars she used.

There was a shake on the roof. Selene shakily got up to her feet, and almost fell down again. Her ankle crumpled under her weight as she kept standing, and Selene fell to the floor. She hauled herself up again, this time using the railing on the roof as help.

Suddenly, there were screams, sounding like Mateo and Yelena. Selene panicked and looked everywhere in sight, but before she could react more, the apartment collapsed almost as if someone pushed it from the inside. Selene clutched the railing, but it fell down at the same time as her.

Selene let out a scream as she fell down, looking in horror at the approaching surface, wishing, anything or anyone could help.

***

Drew Tanaka was not having a good day. She'd gone to school, unwillingly, despite it being the last day before she could go to camp. Not that Drew loved the camp, the only person she liked much in that camp was Selina, her elder sister. 

Selina had the same power as Drew, apparently. Drew discovered that one month into camp when she kicked an Ares camper where the sun didn't shine and had to tell him not to hurt her. He had looked ready to tear her into pieces because it wasn't during capture the flag and the guy was teaching her how to use a dagger, not how to kick people.

Drew put all she could into that sentence, and as if by magic the Ares kid had stopped. The Ares kid, the next capture the flag had targetted her (obviously) and knocked her out. 

Drew hated school, due to all the time it took from the stuff she wanted to do. She liked designing clothes, she liked to try out makeup, she liked to sneak her elder half-sister's high heels and try them out.