1: Defeat and Resolve

The whistle blew signalling the end of the match.
"Bastard München wins with a score of 6:1!"
There was a moment of silence until the audience bursted into cheers.
"They did it again! Outstanding!"
"Noel Noa was incredible!"

Whilst they were cheered for, our team was quite pitiful.
The newly formed U - 18 soccer team consisting of the best German players under 18; that was us. We were called geniuses and prodigies however when it came to Bastard München our team could not compare. When this match-up was decided most people pitied us for going against such a strong opponent. We were seen as pitiful newbies who got put against the top players. It was utterly humiliating.

I lied on the field drowned in my thoughts about this match not noticing Noel Noa approaching me.
"You there... What was your name again?"
"I'm Asher, Sachi Asher."
"Hm. You have potential."
I was suprised. I just got a compliment from the arguably most outstanding striker in the world.
"Thanks... But we still lost..."

An unbelievably long silence prevailed until Noel Noa decided to break it with the most unexpected words one would expect.
"You should be able to play on the world stage..."
"Me? I don't believe I'm cut out for that..."
"Do you plan on staying on this level? Then forget my words... I seem to have misjudged you.", Noel Noa's face which had even the tiniest amount of expectations for me turned into an expression of disappointment and bitterness.

"Maybe... who knows? It was an honor playing with you today."
He took a final look at me and left me with words that may have been the turning point of my life.
"What a waste. You should rethink continuing playing football with this kind of attitude."
After hearing such words one may think I'd get angry at him for insulting my determination but somehow these words sounded more like an encouragement to me.

My team gathered around and stood in a straight line face to face with Bastard München.
"Thank you for this match!", both teams shouted simultaneously.
I noticed Noel Noa sneaking a few peaks at me before he finally left with his team.
Just then I heard the voice of someone behind me.
"Asher, what do you think of today?", my team captain Leon asked me.
With his words all my teammates gazes turned to look at me. I was confused as to why Leon, the team captain, would ask me for advice.

"I think.... we played absolutely terrible."
"Hey! You-", another teammate was about to protest but Leon silenced him.
"Why?"
"As a team, I would say we played pretty well but the thing is what comes after that..."
"What do you mean?", the captain asked me confused.
"Well we were only strong as a team and as soon our formation broke... well...we fell apart... I think we just overestimated ourselves too much and... some of us may have been too confident in their abilities..."
I could see the majority agreeing with me.

"What do you think of this team, Asher?"
I couldn't think of an answer. Or maybe I didn't want to in fear of its consequences.
"I..."
"It's fine. Let's all get some rest and talk tomorrow at training.", the captain flashed me a reassuring smile.
My teammates and I then left to get ourselves changed.
Just as I was about to leave the locker room, a message popped up on my phone.

Curiousity got me and I opened the e-mail immediately.
The sender is, let's see....
"Ego Jinpachi? Who's that?"

—To Sachi Asher—
Selection for a Player Improvement Project

Dear Sachi Asher,
We have openened up a new kind of training camp where we wish for you to participate in.
Its name is Blue Lock. You will be participating among 300 other players.
If you are interested, come to the Japan Football Association Union building in Japan in three days time.
We'll be expecting you.

What is this? A training camp?
Seems kinda sketchy that I just got it so conveniently...
Do I go?

"What's the hold up, Asher?"
"I'm coming!"
The Player Improvement Project wouldn't leave my mind even during the whole duration of the bus ride home.