Chapter Nine - Dance Under The Moonlight

    "Where were you, Avery?"

   Was what Beckett said when he caught me exiting the gates as discreetly as I could. Apparently, I was not-so-discreet for he instantly spotted me and now I'm interrogated by him like a potential suspect.

   "Somewhere," I murmured, not wanting to meet his gaze.

      You'd be the prettiest in my eyes.

   Damn it. You're haunting me everywhere that I might go crazy.

    "And where was that somewhere?" he muttered sternly with me getting a glimpse of him crossing his arms. "--I waited for you to come back only for you to never return."

    "I---"

   "Avery," he called my name with disappointment. "---I want you to be honest with me. I swear just what will your mother think of you skipping classes."

I finally eyed him in irritation, my former feelings diminishing by his sermon. "Go. Tell her, Tom. I am not afraid."

  He blinked at me, quite taken aback at my answer, but for a different reason. "Did you just call me by my first name?"

     "And what?" I eyed him. "--you don't like it?"

    He staggered back, then shook his head as he replied. "No, in fact I'm quite happy you finally called me--by my first name that is."

   "However, that doesn't excuse you from my interrogation okay, Avery?"

He takes a sigh, then glances at me seriously. "So why did you skip class? And I'm not taking no for an answer, Avery."

I rolled my eyes. "Ugh. You're like my mother. It's like I never get a break from her with you at school and her at home."

His face softened, eyeing me intently. "I'm just worried, Avery. You clearly said you were just going to the bathroom and yet you skipped three periods."

   "Was it because of what I said?" he questioned, waiting for my answer.

     Well I'd say it's partly because of that, but admitting it to him would be like letting myself strip naked in front of everyone.

      "I did go to the bathroom," I answered him. "--but I ended up spending the entire afternoon with this girl."

He raised a brow, signalling me to continue. I stretched my arms, feeling my muscles sore since I wasn't moving much today. "She was crying by the cubicle and she needed someone, so I relented."

"Is that all?"

"Do I have to tell you?" I groaned at him. 

"You have to," he finally breaks into a smile. "--I want to hear all about your adventure today, Avery."

I elbowed him in the sides, making him groan. "I don't appreciate you being snarky to me."

"I wasn't," he replied. "--I was just speaking your language, Avery."

"Exactly what I meant."

Tom and I crossed the street, the traffic light flickering in red with the sound of car engines gearing up for it to turn green.

"You're going to the party, right?"

I huffed. "I bought a dress didn't I? And don't worry, I won't do anything funny."

He pats my head and while I try to swat it off, he smiles. "Tell me about it later, okay?"

. . .

It is currently six 'o clock and while I knew very well that I should start preparing and prim myself, I ditched that thought and ended up sitting down on my couch, watching shows on the television.