Chapter Thirteen - Vulnerable Avery

                          (Tom)

"Good morning, Mrs. Summers," I smile, greeting Avery's mother as she smiles back, opening the door enough for me to enter.

She looks at me hesitant, as if she's got something to say. "Uhm, Tom. Do you mind watching over Avery?"

I shake my head, grinning. "Though I bet Avery would mind."

Mrs. Summers smiles with concern plastered on her face. She proceeds to scratch the nape of her neck. "Avery has a fever."

"As much as I want to watch over her, I've got a job and I'm not allowed to take a day off," Mrs. Summers eyed me apologetically. "--so can you watch over her for just  a few hours? Oh, and feel free to help yourself to the soup on the pot."

I nod, placing a clenched fist on my chest like a soldier. "If it's for Avery, then I'd do anything."

Mrs. Summers' face breaks into a teasing smile. She nudges me slightly with a look on her  face. "Plus points for me, boy."

She heads towards the door, her heels clacking with the floor, but not before she stops and gives me one last reminder. "I almost forgot. Avery gets clingy when she's sick. So if she's acting weird or out of her way, then it's probably the effects of the medicine."

I tilt my head, trying to understand what she's saying but I'm left with no choice as Mrs. Summers exits the door and leaves me alone on the living room.

I heave a sigh. So it's just me and Avery? Somehow that makes me anxious. I mean even if we're friends, I'm still a guy and she's a girl.

Argh!! Nothing's going to happen. What's wrong with you, Tom? She's vulnerable and sick right now! Now's not the time to think about weird things.

I slapped my face, trying to control myself. Once I calmed myself, I headed up the stairs as I see Avery's room around the corner.

Like the interiors of her room, her door was pitch black with a skull and a sign board that said. 'No pets allowed'. I smile as I see the sign she wrote. It's probably because of me.

I stare at her door for the longest time, suddenly finding myself reluctant to open the door. What if she's changing clothes? What if I caught her in a bad time?

I shake my head, trying to pry my thoughts away and take one long breath before twisting the door open.

My eyes roamed around the interiors of her room and to Avery. She was lying in bed fast asleep. I let out a sigh of relief, making my way close to her.

Her windows were shut close and I decided to open them since it would help. I pull out a chair from Avery's desk and sat myself beside the her bed frame.

Avery looks so peaceful right now. Her face is red and her nose looks stuffy. A sweat ran down her forehead and I brought my hand to her temple, feeling her hot temperature burn through my palm.

I sprung up from my seat when Avery's eyes flutter open. I stare at her as she blinked countless of times, then her gaze shifted to mine.

"Hey," I say, trying to not make things awkward.

  She must be wondering why I am suddenly inside her room without any warning.

She narrowed her eyes at me and at the same time furrowed her brows with her lips pursed into a thin line. She looked the same as usual; grumpy.

Then my eyes widened and my mouth parted slightly when I see her smile at me. Her eyes were looking  at me with warmth and with no signs of hostility.