2 | Ajusshi

It was a beautiful afternoon, a bit cloudy with a pleasant breeze flowing around, making it comfortable enough for both of them to venture outside.

"You know, you don't have to escort me to my horse riding sessions anymore" Yuri smiled as she straddled her horse, Bella. As soon as her mother left the mansion, Yuri ran towards the stable to retrieve Bella, so she could ride her. 

"You know, I like to accompany you to these sessions, not out of obligation, but because this is one activity you enjoy the most," he replied as he straddled the horse assigned by Yuri to him.

Yuri clicks to Bella, signaling her to start walking, Yoongi following them—on his horse—in tow. It started as a normal horse riding activity; a year ago, when during one of their escorting sessions, she mentioned to him that she had always wanted to ride horses but her mother would never allow her fearing that horse riding might affect her fragile daughter's purity.

Her mother was pretty insistent on the fact that she has to stay pure in order to marry a handsome rich heir for securing her future. Yuri scoffed at the thought for she did not require one and believed that if her parents supported her dreams enough, she would be very much capable of supporting herself and living a comfortable life.

She is not swayed by all the riches knowing what her life is behind closed doors.

Her mother was raging the day Yuri fell off the horse and Seo-Hyung came to know that Yuri was horse riding. In order to hide their secret, Yoongi took the blame on himself that he took her to the stables and encouraged her to try riding. 

Her mother berated Yoongi—how it was not his job to encourage her daughter to try such masculine activity and that he should stay within his limits and be the silent bodyguard that he is supposed to be to serve her daughter.

That night, Seo-Hyung tried to convince her husband to fire Yoongi, but Yuri begged him to let Yoongi stay for it was not his fault that she fell off the horse. Though it took her two days of convincing, her father finally agreed, leaving her mother fuming at his decision.

It was during those moments when Yoongi; guilty about the entire fiasco, started paying more attention to her—caring for her, standing outside her door at all times in case she needs something, that they both developed some feelings for each other. 

However, they both never expressed it. Yuri feared she might be rejected—as he might not feel the same while Yoongi never wanted to cross his professional boundaries.

"Yuri, you need to pay attention to where you are riding, else you will fall off the horse again," Yoongi reminded her, as he approached them.

Yuri turned to him, hand raising to her head, "Yes, sir" she saluted and both of them laughed.

After riding horses for about a few hours, both of them came inside. Yuri asked most of her staff to enjoy two days off and not to share the details with her parents, for her mother would be unhappy with this decision and would berate the staff again.

In all honesty, all Yuri wanted to do was live a normal life, where she did not have to follow so many rules or see her mother berating the staff at every other conflict—even when it was her fault.

Knock! Knock!

Yuri turned around to see Cora standing in the doorway—her favorite person amongst the staff, Yoongi being the next. Cora practically raised Yuri as her daughter when her mother was out shopping and partying with her rich friends. 

She took care of her, fed her—her favorite meals, was emotionally available for her, and was the only person who knew everything about Yuri. Yuri gestures to Cora to come inside.

Closing the door behind her, Cora finally asks the burning question, "are you finally going to confess to him tonight?". Yuri looked at her in confusion "what are you talking about?"

"Don't try to make a fool out of me! I know you love Yoongi," Cora retorted while Yuri stayed silent, shocked about the fact that Cora knew about her feelings. Cora reminds her about the reality of the situation, "Yuri...this is the only chance you will get before your parents betroth you to someone else!". 

Yuri's smile turns into a frown as she realizes the reality of her life. She knew that being an heiress, her ultimate fate is to be betrothed to a wealthy businessman for expansion of her father's business; her future husband acquiring a part of the Song family business, maybe take over after her father retires while she stays at home, looking nice and pretty, and attend social gatherings like the dutiful wife.

Yuri sat down on her bed for she couldn't handle the fact that everything about her life was controlled by her parents, from choosing her dresses to her friend circle and now her life partner. Her entire life was pre-planned by her parents the moment she was born—a daughter. 

She grew up hearing from her family and other relatives how it would have been better if she was a boy, and sometimes, she silently agreed with them. Maybe then she would have the chance to plan her life, be able to have her own goals and live it on her own terms.

But the sad reality was, that she was the heiress of the Song family.

***

Sitting down on her bed, Yuri pondered if she should follow her heart and reveal her feeling to Yoongi, or spend the rest of her life in regret, wondering if she had expressed herself maybe they would have been together.

Releasing a deep breath, Yuri recalls the night when they had finally started talking to each other. It had been five months since Yoongi had been hired but except for communicating orders from her parents, Yoongi barely spoke to her.

Every time she tried to have a conversation with him, Yoongi would either reply briefly to her or end the conversation. She often wondered what was the point of having someone around her age when they are going to behave like an ajusshi.

It was May of 2019.

"I will meet you outside," Yuri said to Yoongi as she excused herself from the table to go to the washroom before leaving for her home—a two-hour journey. Her mother had forced her to go out and mingle with the children of her friends, to show off her beauty to them.

Yuri cringed at the idea, however, agreed.

While walking back to her table, she heard low voices gossiping around the corner. Curious, she stepped closer trying to hear what was being discussed on the other side.

"Look I am so shy and poised" Dami—the daughter of one of her mother's friends—scoffed while mimicking Yuri's mannerisms.

"I swear she's so insufferable, why does she have to come here tonight?" Miso scorned.

"Her presence was SO not required!" Dami rolled her eyes, "but I don't mind her handsome bodyguard" Dami smirked.

"I know right! God, why does he has to be her bodyguard! it's not like she is that pretty that someone would wan—" Yuri turned around and ran outside, not wanting to hear any further. She knew the girls did not like her, one of the reasons she used to dread going to such gatherings.

Stepping outside the restaurant, she walked towards her car to see Yoongi patiently standing outside the door, waiting for her.

The moment Yoongi saw her running outside, tears streaming down her eyes, he clenched his fist because he knew what might have happened. "Let's go" she cried, seating herself in the back seat of the car. Without a word, Yoongi followed.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked, careful not to pry enough, but provide her comfortable space to express herself.

"I hate my life!" she sobbed.