Chapter 19

Lauren closed her eyes, accepting her fate. At least she had got to see Camila one last time. The image of her face was burnt into Lauren's eyelids, the last thing that she would see.

She never felt the car hit.

She felt the warmth of Camila's body pressed up against her as she slammed into her. Lauren's eyes opened in shock as she was pushed out of the way. She fell hard on the curb, her wrist giving out under her weight as she landed at an awkward angle.

Her eyes were wide with horror as she looked into Camila's eyes. Lauren's heart broke as Camila gave her a sweet smile, her eyes crinkling at the corners. Her lips couldn't form the words as she stared at Camila stood in the road.

The car ran straight into her, she didn't even have a chance to try and move out of its way.

A gut-wrenching scream tore out of Lauren's mouth as Camila's body smacked into the bonnet of the car, cracking the windscreen before rolling over the hood, and off the back end of the car.

The car sped off as Lauren crawled into the road, unintelligible screams and sobs coming out of her mouth as she scrambled towards Camila. Her tears mixed with the rain coursing down her face as she crawled forwards.

She cradled Camila's body in her lap as the rain soaked them both. Blood dripped into the puddles, swirling into the water as they mixed. Lauren couldn't do anything as she sat there in shock, holding Camila's limp body to her chest.

She was broken, her limbs held at awkward angles, the sharp points of splintered bones stabbing out of her skin. Lauren sobbed as she searched for her phone. She had to call an ambulance, that's what she had to do. Everything would be okay if she could just call an ambulance. They would fix Camila.

Her sobs turned hysterical as she couldn't find her phone. This wasn't how it was supposed to go. Lauren was supposed to turn up outside Camila's door, a bouquet of flowers, her heart on a silver platter, promising to never leave her again. Now Camila was the one leaving her.

She didn't get the chance to call an ambulance. As Lauren knelt in a puddle of water, crying into Camila's body, Sofi walked out of LJ-Corp. She was on her way home to Maggie's place when she saw Lauren sat in the middle of the road, soaking wet.

Inching forward, Sofi knew something was wrong. "Lauren?" she yelled over the rain.

She didn't turn around as Sofi walked closer. Only then did she see Camila, bloody and bruised, cradled gently in Lauren's arms.

"CAMILA!" the scream echoed around them as Sofi raced over to her sister.

"No no no, please God no," she cried, staring down at the peaceful face of her sister. Her eyes were closed, blood trickling from multiple cuts on her face. Her eyes were already ringed by dark bruises.

"Oh God, no no no," Sofi sobbed, the sound mixing with Lauren's own sobs.

"Did you call an ambulance?" Sofi asked, looking up at Lauren's face, white with shock as she cried. She didn't even register Sofi's words as she stared at her hands, drenched in blood as she pressed Camila closer to her. She felt the stinging slap on her cheek, breaking her out of her shock. She blinked twice, looking up at Sofi.

"DID YOU CALL AN AMBULANCE?" Sofi screamed at her, her eyes wild with terror.

Lauren slowly shook her head, her mind taking a while to string the words together. "No, no I can't find my phone," Lauren choked out, looking back down at Camila.

Sofi scrambled for her phone, punching in the number and frantically yelling their location at the operator.

It didn't take long for an ambulance to show up, bundling Camila and Lauren into the back before racing off, Sofi following closely behind on her motorbike.