Chapter 3: Contingency Plans

Kamila

"One hundred.." Bilang ko habang nakatitig ako sa kulay puting kisame. Huminga ako nang malalim at nagsimulang magbilang ulit.

Sa lumipas na limang oras ay eksaktong pang-labing isang bilang ko na ito ng one to one-hundred. It's an exercise to keep me awake. I should be asleep because it's already late and because this room that that weird agent provided is like a fúcking five star hotel room. There is a big bathroom, expensive floorboards, air conditioner, boujie lights on my side and on the walls, and of course, a very, very comfortable bed.

Ito 'yung isa sa mga kama na pinapangarap kong higaan noong bata pa ako. 'Yung sa lambot ng kama ay pakiramdam mo ay lumulutang ka.

I fantasized about this kind of bed not only because I didn't grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth, but also because I didn't have a proper bed. I lived in poor condition kahit na mayaman ang Ama—well, I refuse to call him that because he's just the scümbag who råped my mother.

And obviously, I was the result of that.

That son of bîtch has this immense wealth and yet, he starved me and put me in a room with no bed, and small windows. My mother didn't care about me either because who would want to care about the result of their nightmare?

That's pretty understandable but I was a kid. Noong oras na kaya ko nang ngumuya ay ang kinakain ko ay parang pagkain ng aso. Heck, mas maayos pa ata ang pinapakain niya sa mga high-breed niyang aso kumpara sa akin.

Yeah. He is the father of the year.

But that's just the chunk of what I've been through. I survived everything that dear life threw my way, hell, I didn't just survive, I excelled at nagtagumpay ako. So, I certainly do not need anyone's pity or sympathy.

Nang maabot ko ang aking pang-labing dalawa one hundred ay two-thirty na ng madaling araw. Atleast that's what the clock beside me said.

I am wide awake as always.....for the past twenty-eight years, I could no longer remember the last time I slept for more than three hours.

When you're a criminal, you don't sleep a wink, because there is no place in the world that is safe enough. You always have to look over your shoulder and you have to constantly think about tomorrow.

You know, I find it so fascinating that normal people can see themselves five, six or even ten years from now. Na-iimagine nila kung anong magiging kapalaran nila or kung anong kakahinatnatan nila sa mga panahong iyon.

That's a privilage that a criminal like me can't have.

Because every waking moment could be my last.

Sa sobrang daming panganib at kaaway na nakapaligid sa akin ay hindi ko naiisip 'yung makalawa or sa isang linggo. I only think about tomorrow and how I will survive to see it.

And yes, I'm a criminal and I chose this life because I have no other choice.

Now, bago mo ako taasan ng kilay and go all 'Marites' on me. Let's just be clear on one thing; I do not prey on innocent people. I may be bad and a thief and other things but I never, ever hurt an innocent person or a dog, or a cat or anything that didn't do me wrong, intentionally.

You see, sa criminal underworld, walang institutionalized na batas. Walang presidente, walang justice system, walang local police, walang kulungan.

Which is why, believe it or not, every criminal has their own set of morals and laws. But unlike other cheap and evil lawless thugs, I have some sort of better morale and code, okay?

I prey on greedy and powerful people who obtained their riches by stepping on the innocent people and enslaving the working class. I steal from mega corporations who hire children to make their cheap-åss clothes and test their products on animals. I steal from those who do not pay overtime to their overworked employees, who don't give sick leaves, and who don't give a fúcking thirteenth month pay.

And do I keep that money to myself?

Of course, not.

I distribute it to those said people and use it to fund a program that helps anyone who is a victim of domestic violence or trafficking.

And I also put the leftover money to run other things, and because of one mistake of one very stupid man, the whole operation is nearly blown, my other operations will soon be affected, and I am trapped in this fücking fortress.

Handa naman ako sa mga sitwasyon na ganito. I have thought about situations like this that's why I have always plans in place. They are called my contingency plans.

And right now, I need to contact one of my people and buy more time.

I need to get my hands on a phone that works and kailangan ko din ng oras upang mag lie-low at magpalamig dahil alerto na ang gobyerno ngayon.

And once Miguel finds out that I won't share valuable information with him. He will turn me into the authorities. Which is why kailangan kong gumalaw at gawin ang plano na nasa isipan ko, bukas na bukas din.