Just a Friend

**Rosewood**

Emily was having lunch with her friends. "I'm so nervous. Tonight Maya meets my parents, again. A second chance to give a good impression" her friends looked at each other confused. "What good impression? You know Maya more than we do but from the time we've spent with her, she seems like a super cool person" Spencer told her. "And she makes you smile and laugh like an idiot" Hannah added. "Your parents will never like her because they're a bunch of homophobes" Aria shrugged. "You can say that again" Spencer mumbled. "They'll have to learn to respect Maya. I love her and as far as I know, she's here for the long run" Emily said. "I hope so. I like Maya. She's the best relationship you ever had" Hannah told her. "Speaking of, I need to meet Maya at the library" she stood up to gather her things. "Going to go study or get freaky?" Hannah smirked at her. "Neither.  Going to pick her up to get coffee" she said. "Coffee? How romantic" Emily rolled her eyes playfully at Hannah. "Whatever. I'll catch y'all later" she started to walk away. "Have fun" Hannah began to laugh. "You're so bad" Spencer chuckled.

Maya's POV

Lately I've been receiving death threats

Lately I've been receiving death threats. I have a good idea from who... but it doesn't matter. If he's in town, I have to leave. I can't risk telling my parents. They would freak out. Instead, I'm leaving on my own. I've been saving up just for this day. When he would finally find me. I just need Emily to come with me. I love her and don't want to leave her behind. I asked her if she could pick me up from the library so that we could grab coffee.

Emily took a sip of her coffee. She noticed Maya was a little off. "Everything's good?" Maya was looking at the death threat she received in the mail.

I see the way you kiss her. It's exactly how you used to kiss me. Just when I thought you were faithful but turns out you're a no good cheating little slut. I can't wait to get my hands around that sweet neck of yours. Count your blessings Maya

"Maya?" She finally looked up at Emily. "What's with you? You have said 3 words to me since we got here and you seem distracted" Maya forced a smile. "I'm good" Emily knew her too well. "No you're not. If you're not going to tell me then I'll leave" she was about to stand up but Maya grabbed her hand. "Em.. please?" She sighed and sat back down. "What's going on?" Maya wasn't sure how to tell her. "I have to leave town" she saw the worried look on Emily's face. "What? Why? You just got back from being in juvenile. I can't risk losing you again" she told her. "That's why I'm asking for you to come with me" she was shocked. "You want me to leave with you?" Maya nodded. "We can go wherever you want. We just can't be here" she said. "Why not?" Maya knew if she was to tell Emily, she would probably leave her. So keeping her past summer secret was for the best. "It's a long story. I just need you to come with me" Maya begged. "Is your parents coming?" Maya shook her head. "It'll just be me and you" leaving to move to another state with Maya was tempting but she didn't want to leave her best friends behind. "I can't...." She looked down. "I'm sorry" Maya felt her heart break. Tears welled up in her eyes, finally realizing that she was leaving alone. "Well.. I wish you nothing but the best" she forced a smile. "I want to go. Trust me, I do" she was in tears. "It's okay. I want you to be happy no matter what. You have so much to lose, I get it" she was holding back her tears. "I don't want to lose you. Can you just stay" Maya shook her head. "What's making you leave?" Emily was a slight frustrated. "I can't tell you, okay" Emily leaned forward. "Is it someone else?" Maya looked at her confused. "As in another girl? No.." she trailed off. "How about a guy?" Emily had no idea what it was. She was just hoping it wasn't someone else. "No.... At least not in that way" Emily didn't know how to take that. "What do you mean not in that way?" Maya stood up from the seat. "I can't tell you. Either you're coming with me or you're not. Either way, I'm leaving at midnight to go to the airport. My flight leaves at 1:30am" Emily wiped a tear. "I'm not going" she said. "Okay..." Maya pulled out an extra ticket. "I have this for you, just in case if you change your mind" she slid the ticket in front of her. "I love you so much Emily. No one could ever replace you" she turned around with a tear finally falling. She walked to the door wiping the tears. She looked over her shoulder at Emily who was seated crying. Maya mouthed the words I love you before opening the door and leaving.