ix

"But can you try not to break?"

"Isabela!! Your boyfriend is here!!!" Camilo exclaimed in the middle of the song of the warnings against then banning of the mention of Bruno

"Isabela!! Your boyfriend is here!!!" Camilo exclaimed in the middle of the song of the warnings against then banning of the mention of Bruno. Elena who stood beside him by the door giggled, playfully rolling her eyes when he morphed to the muscular and tall Mariano Guzmán and blew her an air kiss which he rejected.

The family all sang choruses of the song, different bits and pieces of the melody merging as they all gathered to prepare the table. Elena checked all the dishes trying to keep not only her mischievous boyfriend but his brother and father away from getting a taste. She raised a brow at the missing Mirabel and quickly went to search, frowning at Luisa wailing and failing to move a pot.

"Mirabel? What are you doing? It's about to—" she paused on seeing Mirabel frozen in place trying her best to hide the puzzle away from her father who stood frozen with his jaw hanging, eyes ready to bulge out of its sockets. "Oh no."

Agustín turned around to face his daughter's best friend, his hanging and shocked expression never leaving his face though his eyes pierced into her soul, demanding for an answer and Elena felt the guilt and anxiety overtaking her. She bit her lip. Her eye twitched. Her fingers fidgeted. And then she finally broke.

"We broke into Bruno's tower and found his last vision. Your entire family's in trouble. The magic is dying. The house is breaking and Luisa's gift is fading!" Everything was squeaked out and she took a few seconds to inhale and exhale.

"And I think it's because of me....." Mirabel finished with a tiny voice as if she was afraid of being judged by her father who remained frozen.

He took the steps aside, lightly pushing his daughter aside to get a clear glimpse at the prophetic stones which showed Mirabel's stature, a cracked and broken casita behind. His facial expressions did not chance. It was the same wide eyes and hung jaw. If it weren't for the urgency of the situation, Elena would have burst out laughing at the poor man.

"Pa?" Mirabel called, not knowing how to think of her father being silencer, unusual to his loud self.

Agustín glanced out the door nervously before grabbing his daughter and her best friend on each other. "We say nothing. Abuela wants tonight to be perfect." He whispered, collecting all the green stones. "Until the Guzmáns leave, you did not break into Bruno's tower. The magic is not dying." He stuffed them all into his pockets. "The house is not breaking. Luisa's gift is not fading." He led them out. "No one will know. Just act normal."

Elena gulped hearing the wooden door creaking open. She tapped her best friend's father's shoulder and pointed out, the three's eyes widening at Dolores who stood on the other side anxiously with a hoot. "I know." She fearfully admitted in a whisper, another hoot leaving her mouth as she walked off leaving behind three worried and frightened people.