Chapter 19

2 months later

I had started working again and it kept my mind off the pain that was creeping up at me at nights.

The day I got out of the hospital was the worst day of my life. I couldn't understand how he could walk away so easily and for some stupid reason. It's not like I'm not in danger every day of my life.

I sold my house and moved to a new house as the old one disgusted me because Mike had touched every spot of that house. It felt better that he was gone and I could finally be Esther and didn't have to pretend to be someone else.

2 weeks after Nicolas left I had started to feel better and wouldn't cry myself to sleep every night. And then just in time I got the divorce papers in my mail and the pain came back. For the first week I didn't want to sign them hoping he would come back but he never I ever did so eventually I signed them and gave them to my lawyer.

I spent a lot of my time with my family and took a bigger part in the mafia to keep me busy.

"Hey, I didn't know you were coming over" I say as Alora walks into the kitchen at my parents house.

"Didn't know I was coming over until 15 minutes ago" she says and sits in front of me and I just laugh at her response.

"How's wedding planning going?" I ask Alora who was about to get married to her long time boyfriend in a month.

"It's exhausting, I can't wait for everything to be over" she says and massages her forehead relieving some tension.

"We need to go shop for you maid of honour dress" she says

"Are you sure you want me to be your maid of honour? You know they say it's good look to have someone who is already married" I say and eat some grapes that were in the fruit bowl.

"I know, but you have been married" she says and pulls the fruit bowl towards her and also takes some grapes.

"Yeah, how did that work out for me? I got divorced almost a month later" I say and roll my eyes.

"Just because it didn't work out didn't mean it wasn't meant to be" she says and giggles at my annoyed reaction.

"Whatever, I'm never getting married again, it's too complicated" I say and look at the bride to be.

"So you're gonna become a whore now?" She laughs.

"I would if men weren't so stupid and disgusting" I say and she laughs even more.

"You're definitely a ray of sunshine when it comes to love" she says.

"That's what happens when a man you've been 7 years with forces to marry you and then almost kills you and you tell you love the other one and he leaves" I say.

"You told him you loved him?" She asks me surprised.

"Yes, when I thought Mike was going to kill one of us" I say.

"And did you mean it?" She asks.

"Yes" I say and start to feel a little bit of pain surface.

"Did he love you?" She asks me.

"Sometimes I think he did, but he never said it and then left so I really don't know" I say and push away the fruit bowl form which I was eating.