Chapter One

Song - "idc - Acoustic Remake; Slowed : DJ Espinos"

I've spent almost an entire year in confinement. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined, to say the least, but it's not like I really had anything I was desperate to return to. My parents were floated when I was all but 6 years old. They took more food than they were supposed to because the rations they were giving us at the time weren't enough for me as I was severely sick. After their deaths, I was taken in by the Jordans who had a son, my age, named Jasper. We grew up together like brother and sister. It was a bit strange as people weren't allowed to have more than one child for oxygen reasons on the ark. Since I was technically not Mrs. Jasper's daughter, it wasn't against the law. Next week I would be 18 and I would be reviewed to either be floated or to be set free. I'd say there's a 86% chance I'd be floated. It's a council members word against mine. Who do you think they'll believe? All I can really say is that I didn't deserve to be in here. Last year I had fallen into an illegal relationship with one of the council members, Marcus Kane. My naive self made me believe that we were in love, but he was really only using me. When people started to question if he was sleeping with a young girl, he was quick to push the accusations away by saying that I assaulted him and one thing led to another and I was thrown in here in preparation to be floated. I should've seen the signs, but like I said, I was naive and sadly — in love or at least, what I thought was love.

As I continued to sit by the window and look out into space and the nearby Earth, the cell door slammed open and two guards entered inside. I jumped to my feet as one of them said, "Prisoner 216, face the wall."

I did as they said and faced the wall in confusion. I wasn't to be reviewed for another week. "What's going on?"

"Quiet." He ordered. "Hold out your right arm." Out of the corner of my eye I could see one of them lifting up a cuff of sorts.

"I'm not supposed to be reviewed for another fucking week!" I explained in a panic.

"216, hold out your arm." He ordered again as the other guard prepared his weapon, should I fight back. It honestly didn't seem like a bad idea at the moment. I looked back between the two of them before sweeping the first guards leg out form under him and bolting past the other before locking the door behind me. I looked out and around the lockup. Dozens of other prisoners were being forced out of there cells, many who were still under 18. What the hell was going on? Before I could think anymore, another guard called out to me and I started to run until a family voice called my name.

"Y/n, stop." I stopped in my tracks. "Wait here." He ordered the guard.

I turned around to face him. It felt like years since I had last been engulfed in his eyes. "Marcus, what the hell is going on. You know I don't fucking turn 18 for another week!"

"Will you keep your fucking voice down?" He whisper yelled at me as he led me over to a corner away from the crowd.

"I thought you loved it when I screamed for you?"

He scoffed, "I see confinement hasn't changed you." He placed his finger under my chin before I pushed him back.

"Don't fucking touch me." I spat.

"Will you calm down? You're not being executed. You're being sent to the ground, all 100 of you."

"What?" I asked in disbelief. "But, it's not safe, Marcus."

"Look on the bright side. This gives you a chance to live."

"Don't pretend like you actually care about me."

"I do, y/n."

I stepped closer to him. "I don't know what kind of sick game you're playing, but if you think doing any of this will make you chancellor, think again." I said before being hit with something and falling into his arms, slowly blacking out.

My eyes fluttered open and I realized Kane was right. We really were being sent to the ground. I found myself and 99 others in a drop ship. My wrist winced in pain as I looked down at my new bracelet that I originally refused to put on.

People began to scream as the ship hit the atmosphere. A few seconds later, a prerecorded video from Chancellor Jaha began to play before us all. "Prisoners of The Ark, hear me now. You've been given a second chance, and as your chancellor, it is my hope that you see this as not just a chance for you, but a chance for all of us, indeed for mankind itself. We have no idea what is waiting for you down there. If the odds of survival were better, we would've sent others. Frankly, we're sending you because your crimes have made you expendable." This was such bullshit. We're just kids. "The drop site has been chosen carefully. Before the last war, Mount Weather was a military base built within a mountain. It was to be stocked with enough nonperishables to sustain 300 people for us to two years."

Our attention was then grabbed by the Spacewalk Bandit, Finn, as he floated the the air. What the hell was he thinking? If he doesn't strap in before the parachutes deploy, he'll die. With that thought, two more kids decided to unstrap and join him in the air.

The parachutes then deployed and the three of them were knocked all around. The ride down became more and more harsh. I felt like I was gonna throw up, but soon enough, we make contact with the ground and silence filled the ship. People then started to unbuckle themselves and I followed the crowd. A blond girl and I were quick to check if Finn was okay. He was fine, but the other two were dead. They were dead before they even got to Earth.

We all gathered by the outer door on the lower level, preparing for either a new life, or sudden death. Bellamy Blake stood before the door, prepared to open it. "Stop! The air could be toxic." A blond girl named Clarke Griffin explained. I remembered Kane talking about her mother, Abby, she was on the council with him.

"If the air is toxic, we're dead, anyway." Bellamy fought back. I see his attitude hasn't changed at all. He's still the same bastard from all those years ago. 

I felt someone bump into me from behind, I was prepared to yell at whoever it was, but when I turned around I was ecstatic to realize that it was Jasper.

"Jasper?"

His eyes widened. "Y/n?" He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in tighter. I hadn't seen him until I was thrown into the skybox. "My god, look how big you are." He smiled as he lowered me down. We turned back to Bellamy and his illegal sister Octavia opening the door. The natural sky was brighter than I had ever imagined. Finally, no more LEDs or machines. We were surrounded by natural trees and clear blue skies. I breathed in the air and looked around at our new home. Maybe this really was a second chance after all.

"We're back, bitches!" She yelled and we all ran out into the forest in excitement.

Before I could run off with Jasper, I took notice to Clarke walking away with map and Finn following behind. I got a bad feeling that something was wrong. I caught up with the two of them as they looked out to another opposing mountain.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Do you see that peak over there?" She asked us.

"Yeah" Finn responded.

"Mount Weather." She explained. "There's a radiation-soaked forest between us and our next meal."

I sighed. "They dropped us on the wrong fucking mountain."