Chapter Five

Song - "Burned : Grace VanderWaal"

The next day I woke up with Jasper still by my side. I was lucky to have him in my life. I honestly don't know what I'd do without him.

"Morning, Sleepyhead" He smiled. "C'mon, let's go get you some breakfast." He helped me up and we made our way over to where breakfast was being served. My hope was to avoid Murphy at all costs, but that was going to be nearly impossible. I wish I could just forget last night ever happened. I was finally willing to open up to someone after what I had been through, but all they wanted to do was use me, just like Kane.

We saw Murphy giving harsh orders as people continued to construct the camp. That is, until Clarke yelled, "You son of a bitch!" And shoved him.

He laughed, "What's your problem?"

She pulled out one of his knives. "Recognize this?"

"That's my knife. Where'd you find it?" He tried to snatch it back before she pulled it out of his reach.

"Where you dropped it after you killed Wells." She explained. We were all left silent with those words. We had all assumed that Wells was killed by a grounder — not one of our own.

"Where I what?" He asked in confusion. "The grounders killed Wells, not me."

"I know what you did, and you're gonna pay for it."

"Really?" He asked acting all cocky like usual. He then directed his attention to Bellamy. "Bellamy, you really believe this crap?" Bellamy didn't respond.

Clarke continued, "You threatened to kill him. We all heard you. You hated Wells."

"Plenty of people hated Wells." He fought. "His father was the Chancellor that locked us up."

"Yeah, but you're the only one who got in a knife fight with him."

"Yeah, I didn't kill him then, either."

"You tried to kill Jasper, too." Octavia chimed in.

Murphy look around at all of us, but I looked directly at the ground once he looked my way. "Come on. This is ridiculous." He laughed. "I don't have to answer to you. I don't have to answer to anyone."

"Come again?" Bellamy asked.

For once, I finally saw some fear in Murphy's eyes. He made his way over to Bellamy. "Bellamy, look, I'm telling you, man. I didn't do this."

"They found his fingers on the ground with your knife."

Clarke began her speech to everyone. "Is this the kind of society that we want? You say there should be no rules. Does that mean that we can kill each other without punishment?"

"I already told you. I didn't kill anyone."

"I say we float him!" Charlie suggested before several other voices agreed. I will admit that I do hate Murphy for what he did to me, but I don't hate him to the capacity of death. We can't just point fingers until we genuinely look into this serious situation.

"That's not what I'm saying." Clarke tried.

Charlie fought, "Why not? He deserves to float. It's justice."

I chimed in, "Revenge isn't justice."

Jasper whispered in my ear, "Why are you helping him?"

"Because he doesn't deserve to die." I admitted before Murphy made sympathetic eye contact with me.

Charlie continued, "It's justice. Float him!" The crowd began to chant along to float him. Before Murphy could even try and run, he was kicked to the ground. Everyone started to circle up around him and severely hurt him.
"Get off of him!" I screamed along with Clarke as we tried to break through the crowd. We were only pushed back to the ground. I tried to push my way through again, but Jasper held me back. They eventually started to hang him. He stood on a box with neck was tied around a noose and his hands tied behind his back. This couldn't be happening.

I ran to Bellamy and hit him in the chest. "Bellamy, do something! You can stop this!" He looked back between Murphy and I. Murphy choked for mercy. "Please" I begged. The crowd around us was chanting Bellamy's name, waiting for the order to hang him. Murphy's life was in his hands. He made his way over to the box that was keeping Murphy alive and Jasper held me back before I could run after him. Clarke then tried to reason with him, but it was no use. He kicked the box out from under Murphy and he started to struggle. His neck didn't break, but he was truly holding on for dear life.

"No!" I screamed as I fell to the ground.

"What the hell are you doing?" Finn yelled. "Cut him down!" Before Finn could try and cut him down, Charlie threatened him with a knife to stay back.

Suddenly, Charlotte spoke up. "Murphy didn't kill Wells! I did."

"Oh my god." I ran to Bellamy, grabbed the hatchet out of his pocket, and cut Murphy down just in time.

    Bellamy, Clarke, Finn, and I all made our way into one of the tents with Charlotte to try and figure out how to go about this situation. Murphy continued to yell at us to bring her out. It's crazy to think that he's willing to kill her. She's just a little girl.

"Please don't let them hurt me." She begged.

"Hurt you?" I scoffed. "You almost killed an innocent man." I spat at her. Murphy may not be innocent when it comes to other things, but he's innocent when it comes to this murder — a murder that she committed.

"Y/n." Bellamy put his hand on my shoulder as a way to try and calm me down. I rolled my eyes and made my way outside of the tent.

"Where's the girl, Y/n?" Murphy asked as he walked up to me.

"Oh, so now you know my name?"

"You're still hung up on that? Fucking grow up."

"Fuck you!" I shoved him. "I should've let you die up on that tree"

"Y/n" Bellamy ordered as he exited the tent.

Murphy then looked to him. "Look who decided to join us."

"Dial it down and back off."

"Or what? What are you gonna do about me? Hang me?"

"I was just giving the people what they wanted." Bellamy explained.

"Yeah" Murphy started. "Yeah. That's a good idea. Why don't we do that?" He then turned to the crowd behind him. "So, who here wants to see the real murderer hung up?"

"You're fucking psychotic" I shook my head.

His grin only grew as if that were a compliment. "All in favor?" Only a few raised their hands, but not even half of the group. "I see. So, it's ok to string me up for nothing, but when this little bitch confesses, you all let her walk?!"

"Murphy!" Bellamy yelled. "It's over."

"Whatever you say, boss" Bellamy started to walk away with Murphy's words before he hit him over the head with a log, knocking him to the ground.

"You son of a bitch!" Octavia screamed as Jasper tried to stand between her and Murphy, which only lead to him being punch in the face.

"Mother fucker!" I tried to punch him, but he only hit me to the ground.

"You stupid fucking whore." He laughed before entering the tent to realize Charlotte was gone, causing his anger to only grow.