18.

Chapter Eighteen

"Babe?" Maia called out from Zakari's bathroom. She'd been over his house all day and it was finally time for them to get ready to leave. Tonight was finally the game night that they'd been waiting on. Malik and Brianne were so excited to host, because this was one of their wedding celebrations. They had a lot of things in the future planned and it was just a matter of getting everyone's schedule together.

"What's up?" Zakari asked, turning the corner to enter the bedroom. He could see her from the opened bathroom door. Currently, he was shirtless with his pajama bottoms on.

Tonight, they were supposed to be wearing onesies. What she thought would be like pulling teeth actually ended up being pretty easy. He was down for whatever. Truthfully, he was excited to finally have some fun.

"We have to leave in like five minutes," she told him. She was standing in the mirror, trying to perfect her bun, but her hair was being absolutely uncooperative. Tonight was a makeup free night.

Zak looked over to the clock on his wall and noted the time. He grabbed his black onesie from the bed and began putting it on. He threw the hood over his head to cover his dreads. "I look good?"

Mai looked over to him and smiled. "You always look good," she replied. They'd gone all out with the matching. Not only did they get the matching onesies, they also picked up matching shoes to go with them. After making sure that they had everything, the couple left out in Zak's car. After much debate, they came to the consensus that his car was more equipped to handle three booster seats. Zak also very much so preferred driving his car than hers.

"You nervous about this?" Maia asked him. It would be his first time ever meeting the twins and their parents. Mai had done an introduction over FaceTime, but physical contact was always different.

Zak smirked. "It's like getting uncle duty early. I'm actually excited as hell," he said, driving to the twin's home first. They actually lived pretty close to Maia. He pulled into the driveway and went to the door with her.

Before he could even knock, the door flew open and there stood Ronald Harrington. "Maia!" He greeted happily. "Zakari, right?"

Zak nodded his head. "Yes sir."

"Come on in, they were just going to the bathroom one last time before leaving," he said while moving out of the way. "How are the two of you? Gotta be crazy to volunteer to do this."

Maia laughed. "Oh please, Ron, you act like those sweet babies give you trouble."

"You don't foot the medical bill for those sweet babies," Ron replied. From Maia's understanding, their daughter, Dakota, had just undergone a quick surgery earlier in the week because she decided to swallow a penny.

Kandis Harrington soon came down the stairs with her twin children following behind her. They were talking about something that Kandis had completely clocked out of. "Maiaaa," she sang happily. "Oh my goodness, I have not seen you in forever. You look so beautiful," she gushed. Her hands couldn't help but be placed on her face.

She turned to look at Zakari. "Are you her boyfriend? Please tell me you are, because I have been praying for the day some handsome man takes this beauty off the market," she blabbered on.

Maia laughed. "Kandis!"

Zak only shook his head with a small laugh. "I think I'm taking pretty good care of her." At this point, neither of them had established what their relationship status was. They were still in that awkward stage where they were enjoying one another, always with one another, but not putting a title on it just yet.