Chapter 2 - Recovery

Urgent knocks were heard from the door and then were followed by a man calling out with the same urgency reflected in his voice. "Señora, por favor. We need your help." Julieta and Alma rushed to the door at the same time. They both exchanged worried gazes at each other before Alma opened the door. In a few seconds the head of the family examined the small group in front of Casita and quickly noticed their worried expressions and a fairly young lady laying down on what seemed like a sort of thin bed modified so it could be carried by 4 persons. In those few seconds she understood the gravity of the situation.

Alma's gaze rested on the man in front of the group but before she could even greet them the man spoke in a desperate tone once again. "Please Señora. You are our only hope to save this lady. Her fever hasn't gone down in days and she's losing strength as time passes. Since medicine is not doing much for her we traveled here in hopes of well... a miracle." He looked at Alma with a worried and expectant look.

The Matriarch had her mouth a little open as the situation caught her off guard. But before thinking about anything else she focused on the problem at hand. She replied the man's petition with a nod and by moving aside to leave room for them to enter Casita. She signaled with her hand their permission to come in. "Yes, yes. Julieta, please make some food for her. The rest, síganme. (follow me)." Alma closed the door when everyone was in and led them up the stairs to a small vacant room. After the reconstruction of Casita, they had made a few spare rooms just in case they were needed. After all the family was going to keep growing in the future. Or so they hoped.

Abuela opened the door for the group to enter and move Y/N from the mobile bed to the one in the room. Y/N was resting since the fever, even though it was stable it was still high and the leg hurt too much. However, with all the movement and noise you tried to open your eyes. "¿Llegamos? (Did we arrive?)" You mumbled. To which one of the trusted men replied "Si. The doctor recommended this place. I'm sure they will help. Pronto vendrán con medicina. (Soon they will bring you the medicine.)" Your body felt weak and your eyes heavy so you didn't force to speak anymore. But the fact that these people accepted you in and were willing to help was more than enough. You didn't know if you would survive or if their magical medicine would work but you were grateful to all of them for trying to help. It was nice to feel such support in a critical situation.

After Y/N was placed in bed, a lady within the group approached you and placed a satchel next to you. "Tus cosas, mija. Mejórate. (Your belongnings, my dear. Get well.)" Right after, everyone left the room and followed Alma towards the main door. On the way down the man started to explain in detail the situation and of course thank her for the hospitality. "Señora, thank you so much for your help. You see, my brother and his wife found that lady on the shore unconscious and injured. They took her in but she isn't gettin' better and the doctor recommended this town for her. Because rumors say the medicine here works almost magically." The man offered a small smile and continued on his explanation. "We believe that lady was the survivor of a shipwreck. But who knows? It is the only explanation we came up with since there was a heavy storm last night."

"My, my..." Alma commented after learning about the situation in detail. "We will do anything in our power to help."

"Gracias, Señora." The man nodded. "We have to return now to our town. But we left some money with Y/N to cover for all the medical expenses. Let's hope for the best." After a goodbye the group left Casita.

Alma closed the door and stood still for a few seconds as she processed how sudden everything happened. A few of the Madrigals were around and had paused their responsibilities to watch the scene and hear the story. Including Bruno. No matter how they looked at it, it was indeed a tough situation for the newcomer.