Chapter 4 - Understanding Breeds Love

Gentle knocks were heard from the door. Since sleep was light you were able to sit quickly and give permission for the person to enter. As soon as the door opened you saw Julieta carrying a plate and another cup of water. When she entered she left the plate on the gavetero and approached you. Behind Julieta you saw Alma, who also neared your bed. Some movement outside the door caught your attention. When you looked you were able to see two teenagers looking at you. One was a girl with green glasses and the other a boy with curly hair and a yellow ruana. You offered them a smile and a small awkward wave to greet them.

"How are you feeling today?" Julieta's voice was soft and caring.

Your attention redirected towards Julieta. "I feel much better." You smiled. "Thank you, for everything."

"We're glad to see you're feeling better." Abuela Alma spoke. "If there is anything you need, let us know. The Madrigal family is here to help those in need." She nodded.

"Y/N I left breakfast for you on top of the gavetero. Remember to eat well, ¿Está bien? (Ok?)"

"Thank you, Julieta and Señora Madrigal." You nodded with a smile as you watched them leave.

A warm sensation with a hint of nostalgia filled your heart when they left. Their treatment towards you made you somewhat feel like you were back home and that perhaps you were not completely alone.

With a deep breath you stood from the bed and opened the window. The morning sun illuminated the room inside and its warmth caressed your skin. It was a beautiful morning. You observed part of the town and scenery. The vibrant colors, the huge mountains, the happy townspeople walking, and the big lady carrying a bunch of donkeys on her back. But wait... that wasn't normal. You stared at the other lady intently trying to figure out what were you seeing. Your eyes didn't lie though, it was definitely a young lady carrying pile of actual donkeys. Soon you recalled Bruno Madrigal and the explanation he gave you last night about how some family members had a magical gift. And with that it clicked. "She must be a Madrigal as well... This is a very peculiar place. Very interesting... I want to know more. I wonder if Bruno is around... I'd like to ask him some more."

You headed towards the gavetero and inspected the food. Everything looked delicious so you decided to try the arepa. However after a bite of two you put it back on the plate since you weren't really hungry at the moment. Instead you opened one of the drawers of the gavetero and changed clothes. You now wore a white blouse with your shoulders uncovered and a deep olive flowy skirt. The style was a bit different from what you were used to wear but it was comfortable and pretty.

It was a perfect day to explore the town which was an opportunity you rarely got. So once you were ready you headed outside. Much to your surprise you encountered no one in the house. Sadly, Bruno wasn't around either. Perhaps they were busy already or still in their rooms. Anyways, you searched the terrain outside and saw the mountains that spread their elegant green to the sky. And curiously enough one of the tallest mountains looked like it had split right in the middle. Since it didn't seem too far you decided to take that route and explore.

Bruno was outside as well, however he was quite far away when he saw you take the direction towards the split mountain. Seeing you walk around and well made him smile, however another feeling crept in vaguely and his mind began to work. Where is she going? What if she falls and hurts herself? What if she gets lost? What if she encounters a wild animal and gets attacked by it? What if she decides to eat something from the forest and it ends up being poisonous? The man took a long and deep breath. "No, Bruno." He spoke to himself. "Get yourself together. If she takes a suspiciously long time to return I'll go check on her. Right Oscar?" With the corner of his eyes he stared at his little rat friend on his shoulder as if waiting for an answer or some reassurance. Oscar gave a light nod. "Yep. Thanks amiguito. (Little friend)" This decision brought some peace for the time being.