Chapter 5 - Future

The morning light seeped through the gaps of the closed window and into your room. It was nature's way of indicating that it was time to rise. You sat on your bed and waited a few seconds before standing up to change your pajamas. Today you could hear a lot of noise coming from downstairs. There were the clanks and clinks of utensils being organized on the table, people talking, a thunder at some point, and even wild animals. Apparently, the whole family was in today. The realization made your heart beat faster since it would be the first time to meet them all. The ones you've met so far were lovely, kind and easy to talk with. Perhaps the rest was similar.

Once ready you returned to the bed and sat. Maybe I should go out and meet them all... But what if they wanted to have a family only break fast? Perhaps I should wait a little longer to not interrupt anything important... or... I shouldn't worry too much! It's not the first time I'll be meeting new people. I need be calm. "I need some water first." Before you stood Casita heard and wanted to help since there was a cup of water on top of the gavetero. With a swift motion the wooden planks on the floor rearranged and made the gavetero slide towards you only stopping when it was a few inches away. The sudden movement made you scream and run out of the room. When you came to a stop you were in front of the table where everyone was seated and just about to begin their breakfast.

You stared back at the faces that were looking at you with concerned or confused expressions. You wanted to meet the family but definitely not in such situation. And much to your embarrassment even Bruno was there and probably he was the one who looked much worried.

"Is everything okay señorita Y/N?" Abuela Alma was the first to speak.

You took a few seconds to collect your thoughts." Uhm...I-I said I wanted some water and suddenly the floors starting moving and the gavetero just slid towards me!" You explained still startled by the experience.

Everyone's expression changed from worried to laughter or smiles. You grew even more nervous and confused. Why were they laughing? Was that a normal thing...? However your questions were soon answered by the young lady with the green glasses.

"That is Casita. It likes to help. ¿Verdad Casita?" Mirabel said while looking up to the wall. Much to your surprise the lanterns on the wall seemed to nod as a reply to the girl.

"Very well then. You're just in time to join us for breakfast." Alma said with a smile. But before you could reply you felt a gentle pressure on the back of your legs. When you looked back, you saw that Casita had brought a chair for you. You sat and Casita slid the chair towards an empty space besides Bruno. It was nice to see him again so early in the morning.

"I'm sorry for all the screaming." You whispered to Bruno with an embarrassed smile.

"Hey." Bruno gently placed his hand on your shoulder in a reassuring way. "It's alright. And understandable." He smiled. "Here, take this." The man slid his untouched breakfast towards you and then stood to get another plate.

"Thank you, Bruno." You replied with a warm smile as you picked your fork and started eating. When you looked up to the family, you saw a few of the young ones looking at you and giggling. Maybe they were commenting about what just happened. But who knew? However you felt your face become warm so you decided to look elsewhere and pay no mind.