Chapter Three

Chapter Three

LAGOS.

           SHE COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! Two hours of this argument and Aabidah Ali figured she might as well be talking to a mannequin. Figures, she thought, staring hard at her older brother, he looked like one and spoke like one. How his gorgeous and sweet little wife coped with him, she had no idea.

"You're not going and that's final." The tall and well built man thundered.

Unbelievingly, Aabidah gaped at her brother like he had just ordered she abort a child. Why was she even having this argument again? Who was he to tell her what to do with her life?

Fuming, she balled her fists, pressed them to her hips and stood there with a glare. Her chin high with that stubborn cleft that was second nature to her. "And you have no right telling me what I can and cannot do. I'm not a little child."

"No?" He asked mockingly. "Of course you're not a little child, but you're my little sister. And so long as I'm still alive and kicking you will do as I say."

She scoffed. "Because you're my father and I'm bound by obligation, right?" She wished it was all just a dream.

She had tucked her son, Bilal, in a few hours ago and had began sorting out the clothes she was going to take with her when she finally went back to her hometown. Her older brother, Sulaiman had decided to pay her a visit. Now she swore softly. If she had known he had come to force her to stay back in Lagos and just spew nonsense, she wouldn't have opened the door to her apartment for him. He had been yelling so bad she was glad her son was a heavy sleeper. 

When she opened her eyes again, she saw that her brother had loosened his tie, and was watching and waiting for her response.

What had happened? What had changed? She wanted to ask but decided she didn't need to further encourage the headaches she was already having. So, instead, she stood there at the opposite side of the large, polished mahogany dinner table and took her brother in.

He had always been a trifle big on the authoritative part. He was tall and broad shouldered, and among her three siblings, the one she looked like. Something that had kept them close together for years until she found out what he'd done years ago.

He had always been like her unappointed bodyguard ever since they were little. The contract was him being born before her and him signing in both places. As annoying as it had been, she had appreciated it in some cases then...to some extent. It had felt nice knowing there was that special sibling she could always count on.

But not anymore. Her 'special sibling' had taken the role too personal and had done things for his own selfish reasons. Things that had caused her great unhappiness. And for that reason he had lost every right to that position in her life.

Now she was older. Now she could handle herself and solve her little problems. Now, she didn't need protecting. After everything she'd gone through, she was strong enough to protect both herself and her son.

Still, her bodyguard found it difficult to accept. He wagged a finger madly in her face as he snarled on. "You're going back because of him, I know it."

She let out a laugh then slumped down in a seat, a glare aimed at her brother replaced the sheen of mirth her laughter had conjured. "If that's your reason for stopping me, then you must be getting old, dumb, and jobless."