Chapter Twenty-Seven

          AABIDAH SPENT THE REST OF her day at work trying —and failing— not to mull over what she had done and what she knew she had to do. Finally after much deliberation, she decided to pay AbdulAzeez a visit at the hospital.

A few minutes to closing hours, she messaged Fatiha and asked her what AbdulAzeez's room number was. It took more than a couple of minutes for Fatiha to reply back, so in that time Aabidah leaned back in her seat and gnawed away on her lips as her mind once again opened to replay the conversation she'd had with Basmah.

Basmah had asked her to end things with AbdulAzeez. She had called Aabidah scared and had said that she was suffering. In all the years they had spent together, Aabidah could count the amount of times she and Basmah had had bitter arguments on the fingers of one hand.

It wasn't because they were such great friends per se, but because Aabidah was not a lover of quarrels. Whenever an instinct tells her that a fight or disagreement was soon to occur, her heart always goes into overdrive and her voice begins to shake. She didn't just hate arguments —she hated the way it made her feel. 

Sure some people say that fighting sometimes strengthens the bonds of relationship, however knowing it sometimes was the truth, Aabidah worried that her friendship with Basmah might end because she was being too stubborn... and maybe a little too hopeful.

Aabidah who was lost in her bitter thoughts didn't notice that her colleagues had began to leave until someone knocked on her desk and called her name.

With a startled gasp, she threw a hand to her chest before looking up. "Mr. Omar," she asked, "is there something I can do for you?"

The tall and dark man looked down at her in contemplation, his extra dark brows were furrowed, and his narrow lips pursed in something Aabidah couldn't place a name on. It wasn't until he spoke up again that she realized the look he had as amusement.

"As a matter of fact," he began, his throaty voice thick with exhilaration. "I'm the one who can do something for you." He flicked a hand around him as if he was giving a tourist the perfect guide. "Everyone's gone, well other than the both of us, that is."

Aabidah looked around her in shock. It was true, there was no one in the building apart from the both of them. How had she let this happen!?

"Em, I'll just be..." She fumbled with her desk as she reached for her bag and at the same time stretched to switch off her computer. Since it was an impossible task to do all at once, she ended up pushing off most of the files on her desk.

Aabidah groaned then dropped the bag in her hand on her desk before she stepped out and crouched beside the littered papers.

"Are you okay?"

Having nearly forgotten that he was still there, Aabidah threw he head up to stare at the man. The bright florescent light hit her directly in her face, causing her to turn her face away and shrink her eyes shut.

"Are you okay?" came the voice again.

Slightly peeved at the constant question she herself didn't have an answer to, Aabidah sucked in a breath then opened her eyes ready to lash out. She was taken aback completely when she noticed that the light was no longer in her face and that Omar had used his body to shield her from the harsh beam.

Aabidah swallowed unable to understand the reason for his actions. Reason? She immediately shook her head. There was no need to think about why the new teller did what he did, he probably just felt like standing right there at the moment. Stop overanalyzing everything.