Chapter Fourteen

*Chapter dedicated to oyiza27. Hope you have a nice day. Enjoy😘*

Chapter Fourteen

              "SO, HOW IS YOUR SON?" Sheriff Ahmad asked as he fell into step with Aabidah.

Ya Rabb, not this one too.

Other than the fact that it was suddenly Monday again, Aabidah was having the worst day. She had woken up to observe her subh prayer with high spirit only to have it turning as dark as the rainy clouds that were gathered above her when she'd noticed she had missed calls from her older brother. Fifteen times. He'd called her fifteen times. Who does that?

She hadn't bothered on calling him back since she knew all he wanted to do was spite her. It was a surprise he hadn't done so since she'd moved back weeks ago.

Shoving him to the farthest region of her mind, Aabidah went about her morning routine like always, ignoring the incessant ringing of her phone as she moved around the empty house. She was home alone. Bilal had gone to Abuja to spend some time with his grandparents. She missed her boy but she cherished the quiet more. She was all ready and set to leave for work when the clouds opened up and it began to teem heavily on her rooftop. Aabidah had groaned at the evident delay the rain would cause her and since her brother was yet to bring her car, she was stuck with no other option but to wait it out. 

It took a few hours before the rain finally came to a stop and by the time she'd left her house, Aabidah had grown even more impatient. Something that was so unlike her. A nagging feeling persisted in the back of her mind. A feeling that warned her that something terrible was going to happen soon.

There was not a single bike on the street so she had to trek while hoping one would pop up. She finally got one after walking and waiting for twenty minutes, and since the bike man was strangely in a haste, she hadn't gotten the chance to bargain for the price.

Aabidah thought she would just have to pay the normal price but the man kept on baring his teeth at her, saying he wouldn't collect the money. After an heated argument, she'd ended up paying twice the usual price.

Her day had started in the most frustrating of ways and now she had to deal with her manager. Could this day get any worse? 

"You told me you had a family emergency the other day, did you resolve it?" The nearly bald man continued to talk as if he didn't notice his companion wasn't in the mood to converse.

Aabidah tugged on her nose mask as she started for the crowded gate. She murmured a few "excuse me's" to the patrons lining the front of the gate before she got to it, greeted the security guard on duty as he opened the black gate for her, then she swept into the almost empty compound.

"Mama Bilal, Mama Bilal. Aabidah!" The manager yelled after her.

Displeased with his lack of professional ethics, Aabidah quickened her pace. She was not in the mood for whatever nonsense the man had to say.

It was Monday, one of the town's market days. A very busy and riling day for Aabidah. She hated Mondays here at the bank since it was usually full to the brim with customers. Aabidah whose day had started on the wrong foot didn't want anything else that would provoke that little demon in her.

Sheriff Ahmad as it seemed was probably going to be that last push that would break the camel's back.

Aabidah turned away from the front of the building and headed for the back where the employees door was situated, she was just about to turn down the handle when a hand reach out and slammed it's palm onto the door's frame. She jerked back at the sudden impact.