EPILOGUE

Three months later, Joseph walked up to Frankie and Brianna's house. He was picking up Nicholas for the weekend.

He stood staring at the door. Over the past year, his life had changed drastically. He shook his head, "Don't think about it," he told himself. It was hard for him to be alone. Lucy had wanted to make them official but he ended things instead. He didn't love her, to think about it, he didn't even have much in common with her.

He sighed. It wasn't easy for him to watch Brianna be happy with another man, he was still trying to get used to that. When he was with them, he felt happy. But the moment he went home alone, the loneliness set in. But he had to admit, Brianna looked happier than he had seen her for a while.

He knocked on the door, and Frankie answered after a short while.

"Hey Jo, how are you doing? Nicky," he called up the stairs, "your dad is here. You want a beer?" he asked as he turned back to Joseph.

"Sure, why not."

Frankie handed Joseph a cold beer as they walked out to the backyard.

"We were about to light up the grill. Some guys are coming over to watch the football match. You're welcome to stay if you don't have any planned for the afternoon."

"Nah, I wouldn't want to intrude on your time with your friends."

 "You won't be. Come on, stay."

Brianna came downstairs carrying Lily in her arms, Nicholas in front of her.

"Daddy," he ran to Joseph and hugged his leg. "I just learned this really cool trick from Aunty Mel. Can I show you?"

"Aunty Mel?"

"Oh right, my cousin is here for the week. She's going to help Brie out with the baby while I'm at work. There she is," he said as Melanie walked into the backyard.

"Mel, you remember Joseph? Joseph, Mel," he said as he introduced them.

Something stirred in Joseph's stomach as he looked at the faintly familiar woman in front of him. "Damn, she's beautiful," he thought as he took in the way her dress clung to her body.

"Joseph, of course," she said smiling as she extended her hand. "Nice to see you again."

"Have we met?" he asked surprised.

"Yeah, once. I think we bumped into you at the pier that one time. It's been a while so you might not remember me."

A wave of recognition flashed on Joseph's face. That was the woman that was with Frankie that day. 

"Of course, I remember you," he smiled, a much better reason to stay stood right in front of him.

**THE END**