Away

"Y/N, Y/N, I WANT TO BE IT THIS TIME!"

"Uh, i-i guess I could-uh..."
You froze. Even though you liked this jester so far, after what happened that morning, you didn't want to be chased by him. Not after seeing what magic he could do.

"PLEASE, PLEASE, FRIEND!  IT WILL BE SO MUCH FUN, FUN!"

But you still didn't want to make him sad. You still thought that eager, wide smile was cute. So you made an exception. After all, like you thought before, you didn't know how long you would be stuck here.

And a near-death experience might help pass the time.

You chuckle to yourself on your last remark, and decide to say yes to this jester.

"Uh, fine.  We can play tag, and you can chase me this time."

"HEE HEE! HEE HEE! UEE HEE HEE! LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!"

He took off without warning in your direction, causing your reflexes to make you spin around and leave the jester running in the wrong direction.

"YOU'RE FAST! BUT I'M FASTER, FASTER!!"
He yelled maniacally and faced your direction.

You run away from him, as he charges after you. He starts to shoot little spades in your direction.

Dodging them one by one, one suddenly hits your foot, causing you to fall.

But suddenly he jumps, and summons a bigger spade to catch you.

"HEE HEE! FUN, FUN!"

"Jevil, I don't think this is how you play tag..."
You say to him as you're now balancing on two spades midair.
He makes more spade stairs to reach you.

"YES, YES! BUT NOW YOU HAVE NOWHERE TO RUN!"
He says as he makes the platforms behind your feet tremble, causing you to panic.

"EXCEPT HERE!" He says, waving on the platform he has made next to the spade stairs.

You think about how you're going to get down.

I couldn't go where he's saying, I would jump right on top of him...

But you proceed to do so anyway, jumping right where Jevil is while your foot platforms disappear.

He dodges you, causing you to fall the direction of the stairs, until he grabs your hand, levitates you down to the floor, and let's you stand back up.

"TAG!" He announced proudly.

In the action of that game, you almost forgot you were even playing tag.

"OH, Y/N, WASN'T THAT FUN, FUN?"

"Uh, I guess that was kind of fun..."

It certainly wasn't boring.
You thought.

You noticed you were getting tired. You wondered what time it was. But in this cell, you couldn't even tell time.

"Uh, Jevil, do you know what time it is?"
You ask, not really expecting and answer.

"TRAPPED TRAPPED, IN THIS CELL, GIVEN THEE A DOOR TO HELL, REALITY TIS A SPINNING CAROUSEL!"
He laughs and falls to the floor in sudden hysterics.

Oh boy.
Well great. He was back to speaking in rhymes.

" Jevil, what the hell does that mean?"

" IT MEANS, OH NEW PRISONER, THAT YOU CAN'T TELL ANYTHING ONCE YOU'RE LOCKED AWAY!"

" I guess that's sort of true."

" THE WORLD MIGHT BE ENDING, HEE HEE, WHO KNOWS? "

He was right. You had no idea what was happening on the outside. Alex might be in danger, or she could be living the time of her life, doing new things and making new friends without you.

"Well, I won't know whats happening until I get out of here. So please, can you recite that rhyme you said earlier? About the keys?"

" HEE HEE! THE SHOPKEEPER, SEAM, HE CARRIES THE KEY, ONE ON A PATH YOU CANNOT SEE, A FINAL PUZZLE TO SET YOURSELF FREE!"

" Perfect. There's a shopkeeper named Seam, a hidden path, and a puzzle, right?"

" HEE HEE! YES, YES, EXACTLY!"

He seemed satisfied with your interpretation.

" Well, that sounds easy enough. Now all I have to do is wait for Alex to get here, I tell her the way, and she gets the keys to get me out of this dump."

Jevil seemed hurt by your words.

" Well, wait, I-"

You thought about Jevil for a minute.

Well, he's fun, he's different, I- the truth is I would miss this guy. He's not like anyone else I met.

You thought about what to say.

" Okay, Jevil, listen, I do like you, but the thing is-"

He didn't seem any better yet.

" I have friends and all, and I want to see them again, and I have family, and-"

" Am I not your friend, friend?"

You were dumb-struck. He wasn't happy anymore. He wasn't even yelling. He sounded...sad. Really sad.

It was such a change that you didn't even know what to say.

Yeah, you understood now. Locked up in a cell, nothing to do, no one to talk to, for years and years, and the first person that ever joins him wants to leave immediately.

It was such a sad story when you looked at it.

You sat next to him on the floor and he looked at you.

"I'm sorry, Jevil. We are friends, okay? I like you. But you have to understand that I have another life. You know, I have a life in the Light World, too."

You thought more about what you said.
But the dark world is better, you didn't really have a life in the Light World. Not a good one, anyway.