Part 13. Facing Old Fears.

NESSA POV - 3 WEEKS LATER

"Nessa," dad said as he nudged on my shoulder. We were in the car heading to Cartersville. Why you ask? You've missed a little.

Well, to start off, Selina is awake from her coma. She can see and hear, but her words haven't come out yet. We heard some great news and decided to go apologize the right way.

"What dad?" I said as he kept nudging me. He chuckled and looked at me once he hit a red light. "I know you and Ben haven't talked for weeks," He added as I rolled my eyes and looked out the window. "But that doesn't mean you have to be all sad on the way there." He gave my shoulder a squeeze, and I managed to give him a smile.

"It's a miracle how Selina is up and doing well now," He said to me.

"Yeah. It is." I responded.

"You excited?" He said as he took a sharp turn.

I shrugged and sighed. "I don't know, dad. This all happened because we fought. I don't know if I'm excited to see her, but I'm happy to know she's doing good."

He nodded his head and pulled up into the hospital Selina was staying at. 

As dad got out the car, I sat there. Panicking.

"Nes? What's going on?" dad asked as he turned around to face me.

Tears started building up in my eyes and no matter how hard I tried to stop them, they came down quickly anyway.

"I.." I sniffled. "I don't know what I'm going to say to her dad. I'm nervous." Dad went to my side of the car and pulled me in a tight hug. 

"I know. It's okay to be nervous," he stroked my brunette hair. "You were best friends before all of this. It's normal to feel like this."

"It's not normal to push your best friend off of a railing." I said sniffling.

"Hey, look at me," he started. "That was in the past. I'm sure when Selina starts speaking, she'll realize that it was a mistake, apologize and forgive you."

I nodded my head slowly showing my dad that I understood. But in reality, I didn't. I knew somewhere deep down even if Selina apologized, she'd never forgive me.

_______________________________________________________________________

20 minutes later...

Dad and I sat in the waiting room, waiting to be called by the doctor to let us know we can visit Selina. I played with the silver charm bracelet on my left wrist, smiling to myself remembering the thought of how I got it. Ben had bought it for me when we went to the aquarium as a silly little hangout, but then we both ended up having a great time seeing sea animals and souvenirs. I smiled once more at the memory. Just like Selina, I've ruined Ben. He'll never see me as anything other than a girl anymore...if he only understood my side. Maybe he will one day, and forgive me. 

"...Vanessa Ortiz?" 

I lifted my head to see the doctor looking around for me while she held open the door, as I raised my hand and stood up, she shot me a friendly smile and tilted her head to the door. "Come on sugar cube," dad said as he got up from his chair. I took a deep breath, and we followed the doctor to Selina's room. 

As the doctor guided us inside Selina's room, my eyes shot up to Selina's parents. They were all sitting down together on the couch next to her as they eyed Dad and I with a not so friendly smile. Then, my eyes made their way to the girl who has been through hell because of something I had caused on her. I couldn't keep my eyes off her as I smiled slightly. She shot a blank stare at me, and I couldn't help it look down, feeling guilty all over again.