II

"I, uh..." Brambleblaze was fumbling with a bundle of leaves in his jaws. "I think these are poppy seeds?"

For a few quarter moons, Stormstar had been unable to sleep. The WindClan leader leaned towards his deputy, sniffing the bundle. It's like smelling nothing. "Can't you find anything stronger?"

"Stronger?" Brambleblaze spat out the bundle, allowing it to fall to the ground. The pouch of leaves burst, scattering seeds across the den floor. "I brought enough of these things to put a horse to sleep!"

Stormstar stooped, sniffing at a seed. I'm so tired, I feel like my face will melt off. "I miss Mintfur," he murmured. "Mintfur knew what he was doing."

"You need help, Stormstar." Brambleblaze's mew was thick with worry. "When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?"

Stormstar flopped into his nest, rolling onto his back. He eyed the den ceiling, inspecting every nook in the rock. "When Mouseleap was alive, I guess. And Beestream."

Brambleblaze nodded, tail flicking. "I see."

Stormstar paused. He shifted, meeting Brambleblaze's worried green eyes. They reflected his heartbreak. We lost our mates. Stormstar thought about confiding in him, but the idea made him cringe. I can't tell him anything.

Brambleblaze's jaws parted, as though he were about to say something, but he didn't dare make a sound. Both toms stared at each other for a moment, allowing silence to engulf the den. The WindClan deputy huffed, fur ruffling uncomfortably, and simply mewed, "We need to stay strong."

Yes, Stormstar thought. Because we can't be weak. "Always."

Brambleblaze padded to Stormstar's side, resting a heavy paw on his shoulder. "I'm sorry," he mewed huskily.

"It is what it is." Stormstar turned back towards the ceiling, wishing he could see StarClan. "Thanks for the poppy seeds."

* * *

"Is there anything I should take into account?" Brambleblaze scanned the clearing, shoulders hunched against the morning chill.

"RiverClan was too tired to put up much of a fight," Stormstar informed him. He lifted a paw, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "Galetrot's leg is hurting again, and Rabbitspark says he sprained his paw during the march to ThunderClan, so–"

"--So they should stay at camp," Brambleblaze finished.

"I think so." Stormstar purred approvingly. He cleared his throat, before solemnly adding, "We can probably ignore the RiverClan border for a few moons." His ears suddenly burnt with shame. StarClan will punish me for letting Goldenstar do that.

Brambleblaze straightened, eyes flicking around the clearing, as though he was looking for someone. "...Leopardheart?"

The yellow moor-runner shot him an uneasy glance, fur fluffing. "Yes?"

"Could you and Foxrunner make sure the RiverClan border is secure, just to be safe?"

Leopardheart dipped her head, pelt pricking, and trotted into the warrior's den. Brambleblaze wrinkled his nose.

"She doesn't like me."

"They will," Stormstar mewed encouragingly. "It'll take time, but they'll trust you again."

Brambleblaze nodded, unconvinced, but turned to Swiftleap. "I want you to make sure the cows over at horseplace haven't punched a hole into our tunnels again." His gaze flicked towards where Winnowfall and Shaleflame were sharing tongues. "You can take those two with you."