Part 7

Shaurya's POV

When she stopped laughing, I said almost involuntarily,

"So, are you going somewhere today?"

"Going somewhere, Sir? Where?"

"No I mean," I wondered how to put it, "You have dressed up a little..."

Her eyes sparkled at once, "Nooo...its just......for a change....I thought......"

"It's okay, it's okay Miss Bhalla. You...." I bit my lip, "you're looking quite nice.."

Quite nice? Was that all you could come up with Shaurya? Quite nice?

"Thank you sir. That's really kind of you.."

Kind? No my dear girl, I was anything but that.

"Hmm" The conversation was getting awkward, again. Why couldn't I never have a proper, harmless conversation with this girl without causing her, or me, discomfort? I guessed that I didn't have any answer.

"Okay Miss Bhalla", I got up from my seat and clearly noticed that her smile faded. Or was I imagining things now?

"I need to get going," I finished the sentence and turned, only to find, curse the heavens, Jannat coming towards me, flashing her perfect set of teeth.

"Hello Mr. Saberwal" She pursed her lips to suppress a smile. And then she noticed Anokhi,

"Oh hello Anokhi....Wow!" Her eyes went wide. I smiled in my mind. That was exactly my reaction when I saw her earlier today.

"You look so beautiful, Anokhi.." She meant it. I knew she did.

"Thank you ma'am," I turned back to find her getting up. But her face... She seemed to be forcing a smile. She didn't smile like a few minutes before, when she was alone with me. Or was this also my imagination? Should I bang my head on the wall now?

"Isn't it Mr. Saberwal?" Damn!

"Doesn't she look just pretty?" Jannat quipped, not removing her eyes from Anokhi.

Just pretty? Dear lady with brains, Miss Bhalla looked breathtakingly beautiful today.

"Yeah, she is looking good..."

Shaurya, you were even worse than Jannat when it came to compliments.

"Thank you so much sir, ma'am" Anokhi looked like she wanted to escape from there. I guessed that she was not used to getting such compliments from her teachers. I made it easier for her.

"Umm...Miss Bhalla? You were going home, right?"

"Y..yes...sir..." She hung her backpack over her shoulder, "Good day, ma'am, sir..."

And then she ran. She literally ran from there.

"Now, this girl will surely turn some heads in the campus, if she keeps dressing up like that..."

Jannat kept gushing about her student before she turned her attention to me. And I was thinking how all the guys would be eyeing Anokhi, talking about her, discussing her in the campus. I hoped that she would remain in her natural self though, standing out, yet unnoticed. The girl, as far as I could know her, didn't do well in the spotlight. She got highly conscious and lost her spontaneity. I liked her before. Not that I didn't find her new avatar nice (Nice, again?) but before, she was just like a blooming hyacinth.

"Hello? Sir? I am talking to you..." Jannat snapped her finger in front of me, bringing me back from my talking-to-myself-because-it-feels-good zone.

"Haan? I'm sorry, what were you saying?"