from lack of blood

Xisuma looked between Gem, who was unconscious on his couch and Pearl, who was glaring at him from the doorway.

"She's stable," He told her, trying his best to ignore the way her eyes bored into his soul. "We should move her somewhere more sterile."

Pearl didn't say anything. In fact, she was almost enjoying the way the others suffered from the awkward silence. She helped False carry Gem to a room that Zedaph had readied for them, after getting a message from a guilt-ridden Xisuma.

Pearl hadn't been particularly gentle on him, or any of the hermits involved in Gem's unfortunate condition, and he could understand that.

Gem was hurt.

Pearl had every right to be upset.

"You're... taking me hostage?"

"It's more like a temporary involuntary adoption that'll end well for both parties. A vacation, almost!" Pearl let a wide smile overtake her face. It'd been awhile since she'd talked to someone, actually talked. She'd messaged Grian daily, and talked to her cats, but this was so much nicer.

A shaky sigh left Gem as she slid down the wall, hugging her legs to her chest.

"This will be good for both of us," Pearl continued, either not seeing or ignoring the panic in the other woman. "I know I need someone to talk to, and you certainly do as well, you typically don't run if you have a good support system."

"No." Gem felt herself say, but her heart was pounding so loudly in her own ears that she could barely hear. "No, I need to run. I have to go, run, can't stay-"

"Woah!" Pearl quickly ran to catch the woman, who had forced herself to her feet and tried to stumble to the door. "Hey, you can't go anywhere right now. We'll talk later when you're feeling better, okay?"

Gem's wide eyes were terrified as she frantically shook her head, no, it was not okay, not at all.

Pearl bit her lip as she carried the frightening light woman back to the couch.

Gem fought, limply kicking and pushing at Pearl, but her panic-ridden state left her mostly numb. Even if she was in the right mental state, she was obviously malnourished.

It was a fight, if given the need, Pearl could easily win.

Not that she wanted to, as she tied Gem's wrist to the couch.

Gem whimpered, but had more or less accepted it.

Pearl owed her an explanation, but that would have to happen after Gem slept and was in a better headspace.