Chapter 6: Team Time!

The sound of squeaking shoes echoed throughout the gym.

You were all practicing your spikes before your first game against Nekoma. As team captain, you were voted because of your good leadership, attitude, and dedication. Your coach knew your abilities well and even was thrown off by how smart you are.

You can read movements and memorize them easily on court which was a big help. You even knew what needed to be done with the team individually and what they needed to work on.
————————————
"Oi Kazumi-Chan!" Niki called out. You both nodded at each other to indicate that she was setting you. She set the ball to you and you flew high. The ball flew over the net and slammed into the ground like a bullet.

Niki was your best setter. When it came to strength, you relied on her. But when it came to strategy, Mitsuri was just the person. Of course the team also came in handy. You all learned some hand signals and gestures non-verbally for certain plays so that other teams couldn't indicate what you were planning.

As practice continued, you decided that it'd be fun to do a team bonding exercise since you also had new recruits.

"Alright ladies! Time for a bonding moment!" You then gathered all the girls to the bleachers. "Today...we'll be passing the volleyball to each other. We'll be passing it without calling who gets the ball and without talking and we also have to get to 100." The girls all looked at each other in confusion.

"Uh Seiryoku-Senpai!" A first year raised her hand. "Why do we have to do this?" Niki then went up to her face. "TEAM BONDING IRUKA!" She yelled with a smile.

"Thank you Niki! Anyway, let's start!" The girls all walked to the middle of the gym murmuring to each other about how easy this task is going to be. "Alright! Now you all have to split up and use most of the space in the gym!" The girls all stared at you wide eyed.

"Seiryoku-Senpai! How are we supposed to pass the ball without it hitting the ground!?" A 2nd year panicked.

You ignored her question with a large smile and put your megaphone to your mouth. "START!" Niki had the ball and tossed it in the air to a random person.

The 3rd year noticed last second and dived for the ball, sending it towards a 1st years face. You knew it was going to be a long morning practice.
—————————

"What the hell Nanami!" A first year yelled. "How was I supposed to know when the ball was going to come towards me!"

All the girls started getting angry and yelling at each other. They all blamed one another without hesitation and you knew it'd happen. You then blew the whistle. "I knew something like this was gonna happen." You said with a straight face." The girls stopped and listened.

"This is SUPPOSED to be a team bonding moment! Nothing you should blame each other for! I'm slightly disappointed, yes I may have also messed up, but we're supposed to be a team!" The girls all bowed down and apologized.

"We're sorry team captain!" They yelled in unison. You grabbed the volleyball. "That's more like it. Now what can we do to fix this mistake?" The girls all smiled at each other.

"Hey Kazumi-Chan!" You looked over at Niki. "Bring it." She challenged. You set the ball to Niki and before she received it, she angled her body towards a 3rd year and they nodded in sync, indicating that it was her ball.

Passing continued and the team learned to communicate through body language and eye contact. With 15 minutes passing by, you made it to 95.

Then the last ball was thrown to you and you spiked it at the ground at full speed. "100!" You screamed. Everyone came and tackled you in happiness and excitement. "Now that's more like it team!" You smiled.

"Now time for 10 laps for all that bickering!" You yelled. Then the team groaned in disappointed and some fell to the ground.
————————-

"Hmmm? Kazumi-Chan you look exhausted and worn out this morning

"Hmmm? Kazumi-Chan you look exhausted and worn out this morning." Tendou said while poking you with his pencil. "H-hm?" You replied exhaustedly. "Tendou stop it. Kazumi, it's not good to overwork yourself at practice." Ushijima said with a worried expression.

"We had a team bonding kind of day. I couldn't let my team miss out on that. Besides, we need to work harder together and come up with a plan to defeat Nekoma." You replied. "Nekoma? Ah! That team with the bed head guy!" Tendou exclaimed.

"Kuroo Tetsurou." Ushijima replied. "Don't know who the hell that is, but he doesn't effect how me and my team plays. But he does yours." You pointed at the two with your pencil.

"You saying we're gonna lose against those pussy cats Kazumi?" Tendou side eyed you in suspicion. "Hm? Maybe if you weren't slow on the court Tendou." You teased. "What?!" Ushijima laughed a little and it caught you by surprise.

"Ushijima! Not funny!" He exclaimed. You all then finished your work for the day and walked home.