Twenty-seven

~ ~ Beatrix ~ ~

~ ~ Beatrix ~ ~

My eyes practically begged me to look away from the spreadsheet I'd been staring at all morning with Ivy.  "Reducing office space.  Marketing costs slashed and staff reshuffle. I think we've done it." We'd come ten percent under our target for the current year's spending.

Ivy snapped her fingers. "Not we, Trix," and pointed. "—you!"

"It's a team effort Ivy—there's no 'I' in team!"  Ivy never grasped how important she was to my success here in London. I would be lost without her. 

She waved it off before rising to stretch out her legs.  "Okay, I'll take some credit, but please, let's not do that again!"

"With the new signings and our overheads cut.  I can't see why we would need to."

Ivy dropped down into her seat. "So, does this make you less nervous?"

Nope.  "Yes."  My tone came out confident but I twisted my mouth in frustration, not with Ivy, but at myself.

"Liar."

My shoulders slumped.  Sean had messaged me to say he was planning a visit and his words... To go over a few things, didn't sit well with me.

But I didn't want Ivy worrying.  "You're one to talk about lying. How about you tell me what you're hiding?"  She'd vanished on Saturday night, only coming home late last night to grill me for details.

She shrugged. "Nuuuuthin'" teasing the word but letting nothing show on her face.

Hmm, yeah.  And I'm the queen of England.  "You realise eventually you will need something from me, and I won't give it to you until you confess what you're keeping from me!"

"Meh..." she poked out her tongue, tossing in crazy eyes and a little head wobble.

My stomach rumbled.  And I remembered I was supposed to have lunch with Cam today... until he'd requested personal leave.

"You want me to run out and grab us something to eat? " Her phone pinged, and she fished it from my desk, grinning as she read it and fired off a response.  "I could do with some fresh air."

"James?" I tried to see who she was replying to.

"Nope."  She dropped her phone into her lap as a hint of a smile played on her ruby-red lips.

"I don't think I like secretive Ivy."  Keeping my face straight, which lasted all of a few seconds. "C'mon tell me..." I sounded whiny.

"Nothing to tell. Now, what do you want to eat?"

Way to divert the conversation.  But I'd worm it out of her, eventually.  "Fine!" Pouting. "Anything, as long as cheese is in the equation."

Ivy left, leaving me to worry about Sean's visit and Cam cover coming over tonight.  He wanted to talk and the last thing I wanted to do was dwell at that right now.