Thirty-seven

~ ~ Beatrix ~ ~

~ ~ Beatrix ~ ~

Inside the airport terminal, Ivy's head tipped downward. Her loose spiral curls hid her face; her steps sluggish as I treaded alongside, holding her hand. It was almost farfetched to think our day had started in London and eight hours later we'd flown across a vast distance and touched down in Canada.

And not dissimilar to the first time I landed here, unease pinched my stomach and sadness grappled within my chest.

Looking up, I saw the exit sign and gently nudged Ivy, veering left. Our luggage would be taken care of according to Sean's instruction and a driver was on standby waiting in arrivals.  I wouldn't lie in conceding Sean's offer of his private plane had blown me away, but I also wasn't stupid enough to think it didn't come without him wanting something in return.

Shaking off the unease, none of it mattered right now because Ivy needed me to be strong for the both of us and I would deal with whatever shit Sean threw my way.

In my periphery, Ivy's head snapped up as if she'd only just realised where we were. To say I was worried was an understatement. She'd barely said two words since take off, refusing to eat and only drank sips of water.

"Hey, okay?" I asked, turning my head, squeezing her hand. Stupid question, obviously she wasn't okay.

Ivy twisted her head toward me. Panic screamed from her startled eyes. "You're coming with me, yes?"

She had to ask? "Of course. I'm not leaving you."

Her shoulders relaxed, nodding.

Passing through double doors, the noise of the busy arrivals area surrounded us. Scanning the many faces I searched for Sean's driver, assuming it still to be Mr Farraday. My jaw dropped when I saw a familiar face. An unexpected face.

Sadie Peterson.

I double blinked to make sure I hadn't imagined her gliding through the huge glass fronted entrance.

Removing her sunglasses, she held them out to the side in midair before letting them drop, only for her assistant, two steps behind, Miss Purdy to jump forward and catch them. She forever kept Miss Purdy on her toes. I never understood why the tiny woman put up with Sadie. Secretly I wondered if Miss Purdy was in love with her... she wouldn't be the first.

Sadie dressed as if modelling for runway, the shimmering material of the blue dress caught the breeze following her grand entrance, allowing a glimpse of those bronzed lean legs.

Her blonde hair was shorter than when we'd said our goodbyes, but framed her sharp cheekbones. Easing toward us, the sway of her hips had heads turning and jaws dropping. Standing just shy of six feet, she was every inch of proportioned perfection. And Sadie was well aware of the effect she inflicted on others and wielded her beauty like a machete.  The woman could bring a room to a pause. She wasn't just beautiful; she made the space around her beautiful, and anything with a pulse... me included gravitated to bask in her alluring atmosphere.