Thirty-two

~ ~ Finn ~ ~

~ ~ Finn ~ ~

I rubbed my knuckle into my eye socket, yawning. It was just after three in the morning, and I was flat out, knackered.

The lift door chimed, and I stepped out onto our floor. I was positive Cam would have crashed already, having been on a bender yesterday, although he'd looked pretty much sober in the hospital early.

Well, sober and pissed off... and hurt.

Yeah, I'd fucking hurt him. That was all on me. And it felt like my heart was bleeding inside my chest.  And in the car on the way home I'd tried my hardest not the think about the much-needed conversation ahead of me and the churning feeling of being shit scared he'd leave and not give me the chance to make it right between us.

I'd do anything, including what I'd said to Trix over the phone.  I'd step away, making life simpler for them.

It all came down to keeping Cam in my life in whatever form that took. And if I had to accept being friends and only friends with them both—then I had no one to blame but myself.

The minute they'd led me out of the hospital room, I'd been distracted  running different scenarios on how best to handle it—what I'd wanted to say.  And thank Christ, Em had come down to the station with me or else I would have been confessing to anything they put in front of me because I was hardly listening to any of their questions.

And thanks to my sister, I hadn't been formally charged... yet.  Pending investigations, as they put it.  In other words, they were waiting for that wanker to make an official statement.  They told me he had to go to A+E.

But taking Em's advice I'd given them jack shit to work with. I couldn't tell them what had happened to Cam, and Em had threatened me not to say who'd landed the first punch. Although, in the grand scheme of things, I would take whatever shit was rolling my way. All that mattered was making sure Cam sat down and talked to me.

Yeah, it would work.  It had to work.

But shower first, wash the stench of the hospital and the police station from me, not to mention I had that shit-stains blood on me.

I lifted my hand.  Even with painkillers it wrecked and how the fuck was I supposed to keep this dry?

Showering was gonna be a pain in the arse.

Pushing my hand into my pocket, I fumbled for my key.  Thankfully, my sister had driven me home from the station and still had my flat key on her keys.  We'd lived together for nearly two years before she moved in with her fella, Jake, or now, her fiancé.

The door latch clicked, and I stepped inside. The hall light was on but dimmed as I glanced down the long hallway toward our open sitting room.

Silence.