Chapter 3

PACIFIC OCEAN MAY 31 1942 "NORTHAMPTON"

I could still hear Tennessee's cries as we left Hawaii behind and I tried to block them out. "Ugh, is there some way to shut her up?" I groaned. "You could always shoot at her." California suggested. "Now there's an idea." Nevada said eagerly.

"Oh no you don't. The only ships we're shooting at are the ones with the meatballs for flags." Pennsylvania growled. "We'll soon be out of hearing range so just ignore her." She ordered.

Unfortunately, Tennessee had been ordered to remain behind as she still had some serious repairs to be done. She took the most hits out of all of us that morning and was paying the price for it. Although she really liked Vestal, she liked battle better for I heard a furious yowl behind me and saw Tennessee racing out of the harbor, trying to catch up.

"Could you wait up please? I cannot go fast enough. Could you please slow down?" She called. "Not a rhyme, Tennessee!" I shot at her. "It's a haiku, it's not supposed to rhyme. 5 syllables on the first line, 7 on the second, and 5 on the third." She explained.

"USS Tennessee, go back to the harbor. It's too dangerous for you." I ordered. "It's dangerous for all of us and I'm not going to sit back on the home front." She growled. "No way!" I hissed. She thrust her bow in my face. "Look at me Northampton, I'm fine. Sure, I'm a little dented but so was Prince of Wales when she came in to sign the Atlantic Charter." She snapped.

"That was a peaceful mission, this is war!" I retorted. "What's the difference?" She exclaimed, exasperated. "Go back, Tennessee while you still can." I ordered. "The only place I'm going is to Midway!" She snarled. I sighed. I looked at Pennsylvania for guidance.

My leader shook her head, amusement lit her eyes. "It's your decision, not mine. But I have to admit, you do have some guts Tennessee." She praised her. She shrugged. "You know what they say, no guts no glory." She said.

I sighed. "If you can keep up, you can come." I said. She grinned. "Ah, but only if you can keep up. If you can't, we're not slowing down and waiting for you." I added. She nodded. "I promise, I'll keep right on your stern." She said. I grinned knowingly. "We'll see Tennessee, we'll see." I said.

"Nice rhyme, you do it all the time." She praised me. "Tennessee, did I forget to mention that you're not supposed to talk either. Especially in haiku's." I growled. "Sorry, I'll be quiet." She said. "Then do." I growled. She shut up at once.

Pennsylvania turned to me. "You plan for a flank speed run there, don't you?" She asked. I nodded. "You are one evil little deputy." She praised me. "I know." I smiled.

I doubted if Tennessee could keep up with our fast pace but several hours into it, she was hardly breaking a sweat. As it turns out, it was Nevada who was struggling to keep up. She'd bent her propeller blades when she beached herself and hadn't had that replaced yet. "Northampton!" She called, panting. "Oh, right sorry Nevada I forgot." She shrugged. "It's ok, Northampton. I'll catch up." She said. California dropped back. "I'll stay with her. It's not safe to be out here alone." She said as Nevada was about to protest.

"So will I." Raleigh growled. "I don't need a task force." Nevada grumbled. "No, a battleship and a cruiser are more than sufficient." Pennsylvania said. I could see a hint of worry in her eyes. She hated having to split up like this. "You better save some targets for us, or we'll want to know why!" Nevada ordered. "Yes, mam." Pennsylvania replied, saluting. Nevada returned it and the remaining ships raced off.

"It doesn't appear to be working, does it?" Pennsylvania asked me. I looked at Tennessee, who was remaining in her position directly astern of us. "Nope." I muttered. Pennsylvania shrugged and ordered a one knot decrease in speed.