Chapter 9

GUADALCANAL NOVEMBER 1942 "ENTERPRISE"

I was all-too-familiar with the formation of my task force. With me in the center, on my flanks were the battleships. They were different each time but this trip I had Maryland, Nevada and the three new battleships South Dakota, Washington and North Carolina. This trio was the latest in design and weaponry. Sporting 9, 16 in. mark 6 guns, they were formidable warriors designed to go up against the might of the Japanese empire, its flagship Yamato and her sister Mushashi.

Nevada was having trouble staying astern of me. She kept on trying to race ahead but a stern look from the more cool-headed Maryland kept her in line. While the older battleships were displaying their eagerness for battle in the form of what Vestal would call sailboat behavior, the new battleships seemed calm, almost relaxed even.

"Not nervous?" I asked. South Dakota was right alongside me. She shook her head. "Not really, if I'm sunk so be it but if it means we win then I say bring it." She sang. "Good one, Dakota!" Tennessee called from nearby. "Tell me you haven't been teaching her poetry?" I begged.

She shrugged. "It's not a thing that can be taught. One just knows if they've got it or not." She replied. I rolled my eyes. "Forget I ever asked." I muttered. "Come on, we're wasting daylight." Nevada grumbled. "This is exactly what we want to do. Under the cover of darkness, we can approach much closer than normal as we won't be seen, stealth is the key." South Dakota replied.

Nevada looked incredulous at being told strategy by a younger ship. "Of course, I knew that. I just wanted to see if you knew it." I stifled a laugh at her lie. South Dakota just rolled her eyes. "Well obviously I did know it Nevada. Now pipe down and keep on sailing." She growled. "That I can do." Nevada replied.

At the pace we set, we soon reached our target. It was dark by then and instead of starting a nighttime bombardment, we waited until early dawn, about 7:00. "As soon as the clock hits eight, we'll strike them." Pennsylvania growled.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" I asked her. "If you're thinking about a wakeup call then we're on the same swell En." She replied. "You ready?" She asked. "All planes locked and loaded, Pennsy." I replied. "Then on my mark." She said.

Northampton was on the outskirts of my task force as a cruiser. Pennsylvania turned to her deputy. "I can see you're the closest. Think you can hit that gun mount there." She asked. "You want me to start it?" Northampton asked. "Why not you?" Pennsylvania replied. "It would be my pleasure." She replied and trained her guns on the shore installation.

"Time for a little revenge. Japan this is your wake up call. Up and at 'em the Yanks are here!" She yowled and fired. The shore installation went up in flames. "Bulls eye!" She yowled. "Fire!" Pennsylvania commanded. All the battleships formed ranks behind her in a nice long battle line. Northampton and the other cruisers were just in front of them, firing away. Their little guns could hit the small targets on the beach while the bigger battleships' guns could hit the targets farther inland.

"I love the bug guns!" I yowled happily. South Dakota grinned at that and let loose with a full broadside. The boom echoed in my ears for several minutes. "Nice!" I called. She laughed. "That's one area of the beach that won't be used for tanning any time soon." She replied as she fired again.

The bombardment continued throughout the day and the marines landed at night under the cover of darkness. But just as they were getting ashore, we got word of the approaching Japanese force. "Enterprise, can you handle it here?" Pennsylvania asked me. "Sure thing Pennsy." I replied.

Pennsylvania dipped her head and led the battleships and cruisers in the direction of the enemy. I was left with just a few destroyer escorts and none of the big guns for protection.

In the channel, they readied themselves for the attack. The PT boats went first, appearing out of nowhere from behind our lines and racing off into the night. Northampton could hear several loud explosions as the torpedoes made their mark. "Guns at the ready!" She called. The fleet formed ranks and braced for the incoming salvos from the Japanese fleet.

She could just make out the white mast head light of her foe. Then, it slowly faded away to be replaced by the green starboard light. "Oh dear!" She moaned. The channel was too narrow for her large fleet to maneuver in and the Japanese now had the advantage of crossing the T.

Northampton ordered an immediate firing of all guns. Most of the salvos made their mark on the big targets but at once, the Japanese responded with a barrage of their own. At once, several ships were hit and began to sink. "Oh no you don't." Northampton growled and fired away. All the other cruisers responded accordingly but it was no good.

The Japanese had the advantage and were using it well. A shell from Kiroshima was fired at Northampton and the cruiser braced for impact. But South Dakota, being new and somewhat foolish, intercepted the salvo at the cost of much high tech equipment on her bridge. Two torpedoes made their mark simultaneously and South Dakota was dead in the water with severe flooding.

Northampton raced forward to help when a third torpedo hit her about amidships, tearing her hull open to the sea. At once, water poured into the open wound and she developed a severe list to starboard. She gritted her teeth together. She looked around 'till she saw the nearest friendly ship, Washington. "Take South Dakota and go!" She ordered. "What about you?" Washington asked. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine, now get her out of here." Northampton ordered.

Washington raced over to the stricken battleship and managed to get a tow line on her. "Come on, Dakota I'll get you home." She said and gently began towing her to safety. When South Dakota drew near Northampton, she pulled furiously against the tow line. "Washington, let me turn." She growled. Washington turned around and pulled her close to her deputy. Their eyes locked. South Dakota may've been young, but even she could see that Northampton was doomed.

"Thank you." She whispered. She gave Northampton one last nuzzle before allowing a persistent Washington tow her away. "Don't you dare let them get you!" Northampton yowled. "Wouldn't dream of it." South Dakota replied.

Ignoring the pain in her hull, Northampton turned to face her enemy. Kiroshima saw her and laughed. "So, you think you can stop us?" She asked. "No, but I can delay you." Northampton replied and let loose with everything she had. A mixture of 10 in, 5 in, and 20 and 40 mm antiaircraft guns streaked across the air and onto the ships of the Japanese fleet. Kiroshima was hit at least 6 times but suffered little damage. She continued to approach the mortally wounded cruiser.

"I have to hand it to you, Northampton. You Americans may be prideful, selfish brutes but you do have some form of Bushido." She said. "That we do and you'll see a lot more of it from your own men if you don't surrender now." Northampton growled. Kiroshima just smiled.

It was then that Northampton knew. The ship in her dream was Indefatigable but it was also her as well. She locked eyes with the Japanese deputy and sent a silent warning to the fellow abolitionist. "Get back!" Kiroshima nodded. "You're an honorable warrior Northampton, there's no need for this." She whispered. "I have no choice." Northampton replied.

As the destroyers moved in for the kill, Northampton's scuttling charges went off, lighting what was left of her magazines. A spectacular fireball rose up into the sky, Northampton and several enemy destroyers were killed instantly, they didn't stand a chance. When the smoke cleared, they had gone.

Cautiously, Kiroshima approached the spot where Northampton had vanished. She could just make out the American's sinking mangled form. "You did well, Northampton. You did well." She whispered.