Chapter 22

LEYTE GULF OCTOBER 22 1944 "PENNSYLVANIA"

I had just received confirmation of the approaching Japanese task force heading for the Surigao Strait. They aimed to rendezvous with the group heading through the San Bernardino Strait and crush the invasion force on Leyte Island.

A third group of carriers had caught Halsey's eye and the admiral was lured by the decoy, taking all his carriers with him. We were now without air support. "Well that's just great. Halsey's taken the bait and has fallen right into their trap." I muttered. "At least we're still here." Maryland said. "Oh and what use is a small group of old, out dated battleships gonna be against the might of the Japanese empire?" I asked.

"Uh, isn't that why we were built?" Iowa asked. New Jersey nodded her agreement. "Yeah, come on Pennsy, Yamato's there and no ship can handle her except us." She said. "Ok, fair enough." I conceded. "I'll alert Halsey to the threat of Central Force and have his planes intercept it before they reach the strait." I said.

"And Southern Force?" Maryland asked. "No one's in position to block them." She said. "That's where we come in." I replied. She grinned. "Sweet!" She whispered.

Word traveled fast and soon everyone wanted to go. "I can only take so many." I said each time someone asked me if they could go. In the end, I and Rear Admiral Oldendorf decided to bring all the old battleships. There were six of us remaining. Both Oklahoma and Arizona would never fight another battle.

I'd heard from a recent report that Oklahoma had sunk while under tow to Bremerton for scrapping, just as she said she would. "Fitting, for her to go that way. She never did like the shipyards." Nevada said when I told her.

"Kind of like you." I said. "Yeah, exactly like me." She muttered. I nudged her. "You ready?" I asked. "I'm coming?" She asked, surprised. "Yes, you are." I replied. "Those seaworms bombed me and killed my sister, it's time for them to pay. Of course I'm ready, ready to blow some Japs out of the water." She growled.

Maryland, West Virginia, and California also got approval from me. I still wasn't certain about Tennessee though. The old battleship seemed well enough but she was still not 100%.

I approached her. "Tennessee, I'm not so sure if you should come this time. You're still not up to speed." I said. She glared at me. "I missed the action against Yammamoto. I missed the Marshall and Mariana campaigns." She snapped.

"I know that, but I still think it's too risky." I said. She thrust her bow into mine. "I'm not going to sit this whole war out, Pennsy. I don't care what you say. I'm going to kick some Jap butt!" She snarled. "But!" I tried to protest. "But nothing, I'm going and that's that!" She retorted.

I sighed. "Clearly whatever I say isn't going to make any difference." I muttered. "Fine, you can come." I said. She grinned. "Finally." She sighed. Nevada laughed. "Welcome back Tenne." She said. "Thanks sissy." Tennessee replied.

For once, I saw no trace of annoyance in Nevada's friendly gaze. She turned to Maryland and whispered something quietly into her ear. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually missed that rhyming." She said. She thought Tennessee couldn't hear her but she had forgotten that the battleship was an expert at reading lips.

"Ha, ha, I knew it!" She exclaimed cheerfully. Nevada winced. "You heard me?" She asked. "No, I can read lips remember?" Tennessee replied. "Oh yeah, I keep on forgetting that." Nevada muttered.

Tennessee grinned. "You never heard a thing!" Nevada ordered her. "My lips are sealed." She promised. I rolled my eyes. "Alright, enough. We have a lot of ground to cover and a short time to get there so let's move out!" I ordered.

"I thought you'd never tell us that." Nevada grumbled as she weighed anchor. As the rest of the force copied her, I turned to Vestal. "Be ready for us when we return." I said. She nodded. "The stores are stocked and ready." She replied.