Chapter 4

TOKYO JAPAN JUNE 12 1942 "YAMATO"

I listened to Zuikaku's report of our defeat at Midway. It was clear to me that although the Americans had yet to release their full industrial might, they were doing a fine job of quenching their thirst for revenge.

Kaga, Akagi, Hiryu, and Siryu were sunk. Only Zuikaku and Kuikaku remained of the Pearl Harbor attackers. "How long do you think we have?" I asked. "I'd say we're out of time Yamato. Yammamoto said six months and it's been six months. The Americans have gained their first victory and so have kept Midway Island. It might take a few years but they're bound to reach Tokyo." She said.

"What do you suggest we do?" I asked. "Believe me Yamato, you don't want to know." She replied. "Just like that, you're giving up?" I demanded. It went against the ancient Bushido code to surrender. "I knew you would see it that way." She muttered. "A few years you say?" I asked. She nodded.

"Well, we can hold them back for as long as possible and hopefully find an alternative to unconditional surrender." I said. "Do you have any idea what you're saying? They'll destroy us." She growled. "Perhaps, but would you rather be captured?" I demanded.

She shook her head. "If I'm surrounded, I'll put bombs all along my hull and blow myself up and them with me." She snarled. I smiled. "That's the spirit." I said.

"The Americans are on a quest for revenge. You and Kuikaku are the only two left of the original attack fleet. I would prefer it that when you go on missions, you'd let me accompany you as your lead escort." I said. "Yamato, if the Americans really are after me as you say, you'll be a target too." She protested.

"Trust me." I asked. She nodded. I dismissed her. Mushashi came over. "All well?" I asked. "I heard what you said and I think it's very foolish of you." She replied. "She needs protection." I growled. "Yes, but not from you. You're already a target. Do you really want to become an even bigger one?" She asked.

"If that's even possible." I muttered. She sighed. "I'll screen her. If she's hit I can fix her quickly." She said. "No! Mushashi, you have no apprentice. At least I have a deputy to take over if I'm killed. You don't have that option. If you die, we'll have no healer and we're as good as dead without one." I protested.

"You forget that healers follow a different code than you. If we're put in an enemy's target sights, we're quickly removed from them. No honorable warrior would kill a fleet healer." A voice said from behind me.

I whirled around to face Vestal. "What are you doing here?" I growled menacingly, my accent becoming more pronounced as I got agitated. Vestal didn't flinch, she held my gaze evenly. "My, my you really are the world's worst listener." She said.

"Where did you hear that?" I asked. "That's none of your concern, I have my sources. But as to what I'm doing here as I said, healers follow a different code than you." She replied. "I heard what you said." I snapped. "Apparently you didn't for you still asked what I was doing here even after I already told you." She said.

"That's not an explanation." I growled. "If it's specifics you want then I'm helping Mushashi with conserving her herb stores. Also, I'm giving her a few tips on how not to get herself killed on the battlefield." She replied.

"Thank you for that." I managed. "Ooh, thanking me, eh? How do those words taste, Yamato?" She asked. "Like whale crap."

Mushashi's eyes lit up in amusement. "Where did you learn that?" She asked. "Yammamoto speaks very good English when he sleeps." I replied. Vestal laughed. "Alright, I'm off. I still have my fleet to tend to." She said. I nodded. "Mushashi, can you handle it here?" She asked. My sister nodded. "Yes, I think so." She replied.