"Holding Half of My Heart"

Staring out the window next to my desk, I'm not sure why the sky looks grey, full of clouds trying to tell me today won't be a good day. Today has been like any other day; I've scheduled a few meetings to discuss things with the VPs and the board and a press conference for the day after tomorrow, taken a number of calls from co-workers and clients, and ordered lunch for Mr. Phillips. It's supposed to arrive in a few minutes, and when it does, I'm allowed to take my own lunch for a half hour. Mr. Phillips is the CEO of a small tech firm, PhilTech, which is quickly expanding due to a number of high-ticket clients starting to gain interest in the company's products. By some miracle, I'm able to name each and every item we sell, but that is more likely due to the fact that I've had to name each one several times rather than because I have a stellar memory.

"For Kensington Phillips?" A man wearing a white and blue ball cap with the familiar logo of Danni's Diner and a shirt to match has an orange bag with the food Mr. Phillips requested this morning.

"I'll take it." I raise my hand, standing up from my desk and pulling out the twenty dollar bill Mr. Phillips gave me when he handed me his lunch order for the day. "Keep the change."

"The order is only $12.31. Are you sure?" Nodding, I wait for the delivery kid to leave before gently opening Mr. Phillips' door to put his food on the table closest to the door. Once it's all unpacked and the silverware he keeps in his room is found, I'm headed out of the building, creating a thirty minute timer on my phone. I take a few minutes in the bathroom to freshen up, like I always do, but this time I'm reminded of the necklace I was born with.

Half a feather hangs from the chain, although people who don't know me and don't see the whole thing usually think that I've found my soulmate because it looks whole. They don't know that the feather was perfectly split along the rachis—the center part which is connected to the barbs. Tucking back under my shirt, I rake my fingers through my curled chestnut hair one more time before heading to the lobby and out to Mayberry Street.

Mayberry Street, in itself, isn't all that interesting, just holding firms and banks for what feels like miles in each direction. I think I got lucky with where I decided to apply, because we're on the corner of Mayberry Street and Juniper Street, the street that has its fingers dipped in every culture and religion between its little shops and restaurants, completely contrasting Mayberry's stone walls stretching for miles. If it were possible, I'd never go on another street, but I do most of my grocery shopping at the nearby grocery store because it's closer to my apartment.

Walking only a few minutes down Juniper, I finally find the glass door that reveals the inside of my favorite café. The light yellow mixed with the rich tones of the dark oak floor and white tables reflecting sunlight peeking through the clouds through the windows, makes me feel a little bit like I'm home. The smell of roasted coffee beans and sweet cinnamon wafts through the door the moment I open it, bringing a smile to my face.

"Jamie, do you want your usual?" Mason, the owner of the little café I call a second home, asks, working the small early afternoon crowd. I don't usually get lunch until almost two in the afternoon, but I come here almost every day.

"Yep. Make sure there's no tomatoes." No matter how many times I try them, they're still disgusting and I end up peeling them out of my sandwich and they go in the trash. Regardless, Mason's salami, roasted pepper, tomato, havarti cheese, and horseradish mayo sandwich is my favorite, no matter how obscure it sounds. Taking a seat where the wall of windows and the back of the café meet, I pull out my phone, sorting through the emails from department stores, archiving the majority since I don't go to them often enough to care about a twenty-four hour promo they're having on overpriced jewelry. The only kind of jewelry I wear is my necklace, and, like everyone else, I don't take it off. Most people don't buy other necklaces, but bracelets, anklets, and earrings are still all the rage.