Interruptions

Chapter Twenty – Interruptions

And it wasn't me.

It was the blaring of his phone. He ripped his mouth from mine and a string of profanities fell from his lips. He whipped out his phone with an aggression I thought would break it.

"Monroe," he barked as he pressed the phone to his ear. I stifled a laugh as I tried to disentangle myself from him. However, his arm was ironclad around my waist and he was not letting go. My eyebrows hitched as his furrowed. I couldn't hear the other end of the conversation, and from the look on Vincent's face, I didn't want to. "I'll be there in thirty." And with that he punched the end button and slipped his phone back in his pocket. His eyes locked on mine, and he looked deep in thought.

"Vincent," I murmured, placing my hand on his cheek. "You need to go."

"Mhmm."

"So go."

"Will Dexter be alright by himself tonight?"

"What?" I blanched.

"Come with me. The guys need me, but only at the warehouse."

"I don't know if that's such a good –"

"Juliette," he cut me off, eyes boring into mine. "I told you I wanted to spend tonight with you to give a good end to my shitty day. Apparently, my shitty day isn't over yet. So, please, come with me."

"Alright," I heard myself saying before I even really thought about it. I mean, when was the next time I was actually going to hear Vincent say please? "But can't I bring Dexter with me?"

"Is he going to eat my men?"

"No." Dexter chuffed next to me, seeming offended that Vincent thought he would misbehave like that. "He's met quite a few of them anyway."

"Touché. Get his stuff together. Let's go."

And that was how Dexter and I ended up loaded into the SUV, making the cross-city drive with Vincent. There was a warmth in my chest that I couldn't ignore, no matter how much I wanted to. It was something I never could have considered a month prior – before I had known Vincent. If someone would have told me I would have been abducted and ended up developing feelings for the one responsible, I would've laughed at them. I mean, there wasn't a shred of sense about it, but it was there all the same. The smile that tugged at my lips couldn't be helped, and I shook my head as I looked out the window.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Vincent asked.

"Just thinking about how insane this is," I said, motioning between us.

"How so?" he asked, his brows pulling together to cast a dark shadow over his cheekbones.

"You threatened my life the first time we met," I reminded him.

"Oh right. That."

"Yes. That." Despite my eye roll, there was a broad grin on my lips.

One of Vincent's rare smiles split his face as he chuckled. Then he switched the familiar piano notes on, and a soft silence swirled around the cab of the SUV. I sighed and settled against my seat for the rest of the ride. It didn't take long, and before I knew it Vincent was helping me unload Dexter. The dog in question bristled, sniffing along the sidewalk as we headed into the warehouse. The lights were brighter than I anticipated, and I had to squint as my eyes adjusted. When they did, I had to fight the urge to shrink behind Vincent. Dexter growled so low I couldn't even hear it; I could just feel the vibrations through his leash.